Masters fees

Former Member
Former Member
I swim with a combined age group and masters team and am the master representative on the team's board. Our team is roughly 100 swimmers from 5 to 50+ and we live in one of the wealthiest counties in the country. Last week, our board adopted a new budget that added about 20,000 on to the monthly expenses. Sadly, I'm also a scout leader and had to go to a scout event and missed the budget. Our current fee structure doesn't support the new budget so the board is looking to raise the fee the swimmers pay. So I'm looking in to what other masters pay for their team. I'd also like to know how many hours a week you are offered coached workouts, if your fee includes the pool entry and if it's a combined masters and age group team. A board member claims he read on the ASCA web site that the average monthly fee to masters is $50 and that was in 2004. I'm looking around the area and out of state and I don't see anything to support higher than that today. My fear is that if they raise the fees too much for the masters, the members will leave (we currently only have 6 - with additional 5 recently leaving over coaching issues and lack of lane space as they moved to to 1 lane to give the kids a morning practice). So here's where we are now: $45 a month/ 3 hours a week offered/ pool fee not included/ age group and masters combined.
Parents
  • The masters team I train with inside the 610 Loop in Houston is $60/month and offers twelve 90 minute workouts per week with a USMS certified coach on deck. There is also a punch card option of $120 for 20 swims ($6/workout). The punch card does not expire. In cooler weather, we are in a 7-lane 25 meter outdoor heated pool and have use of all 7 lanes during workout. In warmer weather, we are in an unheated 7-lane 50 meter pool. Lane space varies between 5-7 lanes depending on the time of day as the general membership of the facility also uses the pool. Our expenses for pool rental have increased so there may be an increase in masters fees in 2019. I would suspect the increase will be only $5-10 per month if there is an increase. The team I just began coaching in League City, TX (suburb SE of Houston) is part of a very nice fitness center. There are five 75 minute workouts offered per week with a USMS certified coach on deck. Fitness Center Members: $50/month or $80 for a 10-swim punch card (expires after 4 months) Non-Fitness Center Members: $60/month or $100 for a 10-swim punch card (expires after 4 months) It is a 6-lane 25 meter outdoor heated pool and the master's team is alloted up to 5 lanes. Right now the program is very small and we normally only use 4 lanes. Both teams above have USAS and USMS programs. In both cases, the workout times are different and the masters group never has to share lanes with USAS groups.
  • The masters team I train with inside the 610 Loop in Houston is $60/month and offers twelve 90 minute workouts per week with a USMS certified coach on deck. There is also a punch card option of $120 for 20 swims ($6/workout). The punch card does not expire. In cooler weather, we are in a 7-lane 25 meter outdoor heated pool and have use of all 7 lanes during workout. In warmer weather, we are in an unheated 7-lane 50 meter pool. Lane space varies between 5-7 lanes depending on the time of day as the general membership of the facility also uses the pool. Our expenses for pool rental have increased so there may be an increase in masters fees in 2019. I would suspect the increase will be only $5-10 per month if there is an increase. The team I just began coaching in League City, TX (suburb SE of Houston) is part of a very nice fitness center. There are five 75 minute workouts offered per week with a USMS certified coach on deck. Fitness Center Members: $50/month or $80 for a 10-swim punch card (expires after 4 months) Non-Fitness Center Members: $60/month or $100 for a 10-swim punch card (expires after 4 months) It is a 6-lane 25 meter outdoor heated pool and the master's team is alloted up to 5 lanes. Right now the program is very small and we normally only use 4 lanes. Both teams above have USAS and USMS programs. In both cases, the workout times are different and the masters group never has to share lanes with USAS groups.
Children
No Data