Nationals Because I Can; Question

Former Member
Former Member
Folks: Last July I sustained an injury while swimming open water not far from shore. It involved a motorboat (piloted by a person unknown to me) in a place where it ought not have been, and came very close to removing my left foot. Bad. (I will refrain from any more narration.) Four months of recovery, and I was able to reenter the (chlorinated, indoor!) water in November. I finally started swimming with regular frequency this year, and had a very good January. But travel and other things badly curtailed my ability to swim in February and March. I decided to swim at Nationals, yet can only make Sunday. That's okay. I am swimming simply to celebrate that I CAN. That said, I would like to do as well as possible. So here is my question: I am swimming the 50 fly and 50 free on Sunday. I have four weeks to be ready-ish. I will have 5 swims in this week. So frequency up, but feeling a bit sluggish yet. How would you prepare to swim a couple of all-out sprints in competition from an improving aerobic base with a month to do it? This is a low stakes question, as again, I am doing this because I can, not because I expect PBs. Have swum nationals before, and I am generally a sprinter (swim free, fly and IM in most meets). Thanks for any suggestions!
Parents
  • You might want to adjust 50s stroke count and body position (head) a bit to see what is working best for you at this point, and then lock that in for the rest of your practice time. Practice how you want to race. Good luck - should be fun.
  • You might want to adjust 50s stroke count and body position (head) a bit to see what is working best for you at this point, and then lock that in for the rest of your practice time. Practice how you want to race. Good luck - should be fun.
Children
No Data