Will he ever improve?

Former Member
Former Member
My son is 13 and this is his first year swimming in a club. For many different reasons he was late getting into the sport and slow to warm up to it but right now he is loving it and wants to do everything he can to get better. The problem is he is not getting better fast enough (for him). I keep telling him to be patient and put in the work, but it's completely devastating to him to go to meet after meet and have marginal improvements. I want to stress that he is the one who wants this - to improve his times, to get faster, to not be dead last in every event. He is very much aware of where he is right now. He does not want to be an Olympic swimmer, obviously, just a better one than he is right now. We talk about improving in relation to his own times, not comparing himself to others, enjoying the fun of it, but he is 13 and I guess it's not great for your self esteem when your times are so much worse than your teammates. He keeps asking me, when is it going to kick in for him. Right now he swims 4 times a week about 2 hours each practice. He does some dryland (not much). I guess what I am asking is - what can we do to help?
Parents
  • Oh man, I relate to your son so much. I'm also a late-bloomer and went from zero athletic experience to obsessed with swimming in the span of my last couple years in high school. I think it's really impressive and encouraging that your son's motivation seems to be intrinsic - yes, he might be hard on himself or discouraged at times, but from how you describe him it sounds like he really wants to swim because this is something he loves and wants to improve at. It's also really good that it sounds like he has an accurate perception of his performance - that's hard to do, I know when I first started I over or underestimated my abilities. An accurate perception of your current performance is key to achieving your future goals. Overall, if he loves it and wants to get better at it, it sounds like swimming will have a positive impact on his life, in fact, overcoming and facing the struggles may help build resilience and true commitment. Even when I was of the slowest swimmers on my HS team, and I struggled with guilt and shame about my underperformance compared to my HS peers, swimming still had a highly positive impact on my life because, good or bad, I was able to live out something I loved. "If something is worth doing, it's worth doing badly." Is a quote I adore that is relevant here. I loved my swimmer identity and loved the version of myself willing to put in hard work even for minimal results. Swimming was worth my time, $, energy, and emotions, and if being a slow swimmer was what it took to be a swimmer, that's what I had to take. And while gradual, I did start to marginally improve my times. I improved the most by having seasons of real ambition and nose-to-the-grindstone work ethic... followed up by bouts of rest and putting my swimming into a greater perspective in my life. Some days I was a hardworking swimmer. Some days I was just me, and it was not necessary to align swimming performance with identity. The former kept me going and improving. The latter kept me forgiving and realistic. I'm still battling the insecurities and guilt that comes with not being as good as your peers, and being hard on yourself when you're new enough to not be experienced; but not new enough that your novice status can waive your lack of ability and skill. What has worked for me best is keeping it all in perspective. Even as a young adult, this is difficult to do some days. It's important to remember that discouragement and set-backs are part of ANY process, relationship, or goal in life. Sometimes being hard on yourself or unsettled with your circumstance is a silver lining, something that's going to activate emotional energy that drives you to put in the work and stick out the uncomfortable or hard parts. As a person, you have a right to make time to improve yourself, your physical strength, your performance in your swimming... Of course, sometimes being hard on yourself is counteractive, and makes you so hyperaware of yourself that its hard to improve, because you've lost appreciation that improvement could happen beyond where you can perceive it. For most of us, swimming is a balancing act. EDIT: In response to your last post, OP, hell yes, he will definitely improve in the next months and years if this is what he still desires and acts on. Swimming is one of the least elitist, least discriminating sports I've encountered, personally. Anyone of any background can jump in the water and improve to personal achievements. You can still track for international competition in swimming later on if you know your stuff, and it's a lifelong sport. That's the message most of Masters is here to communicate - that it's not too late to enjoy or participate in swimming! :cheerleader: - There are plenty of cool stories out there of swimmers with open minds and devotion who turned the tables on convention and accomplished swimming later in life. One of my favorites is Lynne Cox, who swam 20+ miles in open ocean in her early teens, and continued on to marathon swims in Antarctica and Alaska in her adulthood, unbelievably. If you search USMS archives, you occasionally find handfuls of 20-40 somethings qualifying for Olympic Trials. You'll get as far as your hard work takes you.
  • Oh man, I relate to your son so much. I'm also a late-bloomer and went from zero athletic experience to obsessed with swimming in the span of my last couple years in high school. I think it's really impressive and encouraging that your son's motivation seems to be intrinsic - yes, he might be hard on himself or discouraged at times, but from how you describe him it sounds like he really wants to swim because this is something he loves and wants to improve at. It's also really good that it sounds like he has an accurate perception of his performance - that's hard to do, I know when I first started I over or underestimated my abilities. An accurate perception of your current performance is key to achieving your future goals. Overall, if he loves it and wants to get better at it, it sounds like swimming will have a positive impact on his life, in fact, overcoming and facing the struggles may help build resilience and true commitment. Even when I was of the slowest swimmers on my HS team, and I struggled with guilt and shame about my underperformance compared to my HS peers, swimming still had a highly positive impact on my life because, good or bad, I was able to live out something I loved. "If something is worth doing, it's worth doing badly." Is a quote I adore that is relevant here. I loved my swimmer identity and loved the version of myself willing to put in hard work even for minimal results. Swimming was worth my time, $, energy, and emotions, and if being a slow swimmer was what it took to be a swimmer, that's what I had to take. And while gradual, I did start to marginally improve my times. I improved the most by having seasons of real ambition and nose-to-the-grindstone work ethic... followed up by bouts of rest and putting my swimming into a greater perspective in my life. Some days I was a hardworking swimmer. Some days I was just me, and it was not necessary to align swimming performance with identity. The former kept me going and improving. The latter kept me forgiving and realistic. I'm still battling the insecurities and guilt that comes with not being as good as your peers, and being hard on yourself when you're new enough to not be experienced; but not new enough that your novice status can waive your lack of ability and skill. What has worked for me best is keeping it all in perspective. Even as a young adult, this is difficult to do some days. It's important to remember that discouragement and set-backs are part of ANY process, relationship, or goal in life. Sometimes being hard on yourself or unsettled with your circumstance is a silver lining, something that's going to activate emotional energy that drives you to put in the work and stick out the uncomfortable or hard parts. As a person, you have a right to make time to improve yourself, your physical strength, your performance in your swimming... Of course, sometimes being hard on yourself is counteractive, and makes you so hyperaware of yourself that its hard to improve, because you've lost appreciation that improvement could happen beyond where you can perceive it. For most of us, swimming is a balancing act. EDIT: In response to your last post, OP, hell yes, he will definitely improve in the next months and years if this is what he still desires and acts on. Swimming is one of the least elitist, least discriminating sports I've encountered, personally. Anyone of any background can jump in the water and improve to personal achievements. You can still track for international competition in swimming later on if you know your stuff, and it's a lifelong sport. That's the message most of Masters is here to communicate - that it's not too late to enjoy or participate in swimming! :cheerleader: - There are plenty of cool stories out there of swimmers with open minds and devotion who turned the tables on convention and accomplished swimming later in life. One of my favorites is Lynne Cox, who swam 20+ miles in open ocean in her early teens, and continued on to marathon swims in Antarctica and Alaska in her adulthood, unbelievably. If you search USMS archives, you occasionally find handfuls of 20-40 somethings qualifying for Olympic Trials. You'll get as far as your hard work takes you.
Children
No Data