How to lift the legs?

I'm a relative newbie, 70 yrs old. Lifelong runner, but arthritis put a stop to that. Now trying to improve swim technique. I have a waterproof camera so I had someone else shoot me for a lap so I could see what I was doing wrong. I have no kick, which I've mentioned before, but worse than that, the legs sink 1-2 feet below the surface. I look like a dying walrus. What I want to do, whether the kick provides any propulsion or not, is raise my legs toward the surface to get more streamlined. What needs to be done???
Parents
  • It's great to hear that you are making the most of your swimming despite some limitations! Perfect swimming isn't necessary in order to swim - you just have to do your best to make your swim as efficient as you can. Keep practicing your kick because consistent practice is the only way to develop a good kick. You can try kicking for a short period of time on one side of the body and then switch to fullstroke, and keep alternating between the two. Hopefully that will be easier to keep your legs up and after a period of time your kick will become stronger. Good luck and hope to see your video in the future!
  • It's great to hear that you are making the most of your swimming despite some limitations! Perfect swimming isn't necessary in order to swim - you just have to do your best to make your swim as efficient as you can. Keep practicing your kick because consistent practice is the only way to develop a good kick. You can try kicking for a short period of time on one side of the body and then switch to fullstroke, and keep alternating between the two. Hopefully that will be easier to keep your legs up and after a period of time your kick will become stronger. Good luck and hope to see your video in the future!
Children
No Data