What time of year do folks join teams? And any come/go?

Kids' schedule will not permit me to join a team, but I am thinking about checking out the local team during their noon practice, and maybe doing it for a month here or there (they may not let me ). The question I have is, is there a "beginning" of the season where they have new members, or when they have breaks, or otherwise is there a more ideal time to join? There is not a whole lot of info on the local team's page. I am also wondering how open teams are to folks dropping in for a month at a time. So maybe I'll swim for a month out of every 3 or so. I'd like some coaching, and some help in pushing my limits (hard to do on one's own). But I can't do it throughout the year, as the morning and evening practices offered conflict with my kids' practice. I know right now, USA Swimming is in between the end of short course, and the beginning of long course. Don't know if USMS has a similar break.
Parents
  • Upstate NY here. We have masters practice at the local YMCA. 2 days a week, Tue. & Thu., 3 sessions, 5:30 AM, noon, and 6:30 PM. I'm retired, so I go at noon. There are usually about 6 people then. I don't know how many in the other time slots, but I'm sure the evening group is larger. Some will come for a few sessions, then disappear for a few more, then reappear. Newbies come in from time to time, often requiring remedial stroke work. There is no starting season or end, it goes year round, and people will pop in and out from month to month, but that core noon group of 6 is pretty constant. There are a couple indoor meets this time of year, then outdoor OWS in late summer. I don't get into competition much, so there may be more I'm just not aware of, especially if you want to travel a couple hours over to MA or CT.
  • Upstate NY here. We have masters practice at the local YMCA. 2 days a week, Tue. & Thu., 3 sessions, 5:30 AM, noon, and 6:30 PM. I'm retired, so I go at noon. There are usually about 6 people then. I don't know how many in the other time slots, but I'm sure the evening group is larger. Some will come for a few sessions, then disappear for a few more, then reappear. Newbies come in from time to time, often requiring remedial stroke work. There is no starting season or end, it goes year round, and people will pop in and out from month to month, but that core noon group of 6 is pretty constant. There are a couple indoor meets this time of year, then outdoor OWS in late summer. I don't get into competition much, so there may be more I'm just not aware of, especially if you want to travel a couple hours over to MA or CT.
Children
No Data