New swim parent, training and private lesson question!

Former Member
Former Member
Hi everyone, I'm a new swim parent. My daughter just wrapped up her first season of swimming (8 years old, will be 9 very soon). She has been moved up to the next training group. I'm wondering if it's very common and normal for the training groups to be 18 or more kids with one or maybe two coaches. Her current training group was the same, often maybe 25 kids with only one coach sometimes. It was a crap shoot most days - kids constantly bumping into each other in crowded lanes. My daughter made some good progress this year but has a LOT of room for technique refinement on each stroke, plus could use work on her dives and turns. So basically everything, lol. My point is - I don't see how she will be able to improve her technique while training in such a large group with basically no individual attention. During most workouts she might get one individual comment from the coach. Is this normal?? Do I need to sit back and relax? Or should I plan to sign her up for some private lessons? I know in the gymnastics and dance worlds, private lessons are par for the course. It's something most everyone does once they reach the competitive levels. Is swimming the same way? How often should a kid in the 9-10 age group be doing a private lesson?
Parents
  • Yep, been there, done that. And I threw away a lot of money on lessons when they were younger. As was stated above, the coaches work on one thing at a time, and I assure you they are more observant than you realize. Talk to the coaches. There are two types of parents in general, those who get to know the coach, and those who don't. Be one who does and you'll find your kid is learning and progressing a whole lot more than you would have thought. Tell the coach that you are happy to arrange for private lessons if he/she feels they would be good for your kid, but don't rush to get them if they aren't really necessary.
  • Yep, been there, done that. And I threw away a lot of money on lessons when they were younger. As was stated above, the coaches work on one thing at a time, and I assure you they are more observant than you realize. Talk to the coaches. There are two types of parents in general, those who get to know the coach, and those who don't. Be one who does and you'll find your kid is learning and progressing a whole lot more than you would have thought. Tell the coach that you are happy to arrange for private lessons if he/she feels they would be good for your kid, but don't rush to get them if they aren't really necessary.
Children
No Data