Tony Blake - Siphiwe Baleka

Interesting story of Tony Blake, who I remembered reading about in the 1990's about his potential in swimming. I never knew that it was the same person as Siphiwe Baleka, who is the swimmer on the cover of the 2018 USMS Rule Book. www.si.com/.../former-ivy-league-swimmer-john-blake-siphiwe-baleka-trucking-fitness
Parents
  • But by reading this story it makes it sound like there was some sort of "epic failure" on his part with his swimming prowess that sent him into a tailspin in life and it took decades to pull out of it. But that's how he himself describes it in the video I posted. I think that's his whole point. We all have expectations - that come from others or from ourselves, and it's relative to our own abilities. (For the record, I'm the one new Master's swimmers are glad to see because I don't intimidate them with my swimming speed.) Also, I had noticed the 0.8 seconds before - to non-swimmers that sounds like a tiny amount, but to swimmers, they realize that for Olympic-level swimmers in a 100, that is big. Again, I think that was part of why he got so upset with himself....and part of the point he's trying to make now. It's a huge difference, and yet it's such a tiny portion of our lives, too.
  • But by reading this story it makes it sound like there was some sort of "epic failure" on his part with his swimming prowess that sent him into a tailspin in life and it took decades to pull out of it. But that's how he himself describes it in the video I posted. I think that's his whole point. We all have expectations - that come from others or from ourselves, and it's relative to our own abilities. (For the record, I'm the one new Master's swimmers are glad to see because I don't intimidate them with my swimming speed.) Also, I had noticed the 0.8 seconds before - to non-swimmers that sounds like a tiny amount, but to swimmers, they realize that for Olympic-level swimmers in a 100, that is big. Again, I think that was part of why he got so upset with himself....and part of the point he's trying to make now. It's a huge difference, and yet it's such a tiny portion of our lives, too.
Children
No Data