Tony Blake - Siphiwe Baleka

Interesting story of Tony Blake, who I remembered reading about in the 1990's about his potential in swimming. I never knew that it was the same person as Siphiwe Baleka, who is the swimmer on the cover of the 2018 USMS Rule Book. www.si.com/.../former-ivy-league-swimmer-john-blake-siphiwe-baleka-trucking-fitness
Parents
  • 1) Strangely epic but tragically stereotypical (consequences in "going Kerouac on everybody's asses" in terms of broken relationships). 2) 8 tenths off Olympic trial cuts in 100 seems like a lot (not particularly close to making team). 3) Awesome that he is changing so many lives for the better. I agree with Kurt on all three points. His masters times certainly speak (loudly) for themselves. And what he is doing for his industry is remarkable. But by reading this story it makes it sound like there was some sort of "epic failure" on his part with his swimming prowess that sent him into a tailspin in life and it took decades to pull out of it. First of all, raise your hand if you were even close to making OT cuts? That alone puts you into an extremely elite group of swimmers and I certainly wouldn't classify it as a failure if you didn't make OT cuts. I didn't quite make Jr. Nationals (let alone Sr. Nationals, OT or NCAA cuts, etc.) and I don't consider myself to be a failure. At least not a failure in swimming LOL.
  • 1) Strangely epic but tragically stereotypical (consequences in "going Kerouac on everybody's asses" in terms of broken relationships). 2) 8 tenths off Olympic trial cuts in 100 seems like a lot (not particularly close to making team). 3) Awesome that he is changing so many lives for the better. I agree with Kurt on all three points. His masters times certainly speak (loudly) for themselves. And what he is doing for his industry is remarkable. But by reading this story it makes it sound like there was some sort of "epic failure" on his part with his swimming prowess that sent him into a tailspin in life and it took decades to pull out of it. First of all, raise your hand if you were even close to making OT cuts? That alone puts you into an extremely elite group of swimmers and I certainly wouldn't classify it as a failure if you didn't make OT cuts. I didn't quite make Jr. Nationals (let alone Sr. Nationals, OT or NCAA cuts, etc.) and I don't consider myself to be a failure. At least not a failure in swimming LOL.
Children
No Data