Indoor Triathlon

I did an indoor triathlon today, a short, short one. 10 minute swim, 30 minute bike, 15 minute run. At 70, I was the oldest by far. I'm a lifelong runner, unable to run any more due to arthritis. And I've never been much of a biker with 7 month long winters in my area. That leaves one event where I can concentrate on improving. There were 27 people. I was #26 of 27 in the run (which I walked mostly). #24 of 27 in the bike. I suppose I might have been able to improve that by one place had I not dawdled in transition and started 2 minutes late. But I was #15 of 27 in the swim, despite being twice the age of most of them. I have my masters team coaches to thank since age and size did not hamper me as much as poor technique held the rest of them back.
Parents
  • Good for you! I have tried those indoor tris and found that bikers can spin so fast so as to rack up points/time to discount any swim advantage we have. Triathlons of any length always favor to bike. It's the event you're on the longest, second is the run. You can only hurt yourself with a bad swim, and a good one can be undone by a poor showing in either of the others. It's just the nature of the beast.
  • Good for you! I have tried those indoor tris and found that bikers can spin so fast so as to rack up points/time to discount any swim advantage we have. Triathlons of any length always favor to bike. It's the event you're on the longest, second is the run. You can only hurt yourself with a bad swim, and a good one can be undone by a poor showing in either of the others. It's just the nature of the beast.
Children
No Data