Good news dept: 99yo Aussie breaks 100-104 50m record

As they say, not all news is bad. Here's a good one: www.bbc.com/.../world-australia-43251125 George Corones clocked 56.12 seconds at an official event in Queensland - a new benchmark for the 100-104 age category. He eclipsed the previous mark, set in 2014, by 35 seconds. It will now be verified by the sport's governing body. I find it impressive that while he swam as a youth, Mr. Corones dropped it at the start of WWII, then didn't pick it up again until he was 80. That means I have at least another 16 years to go before I really need to get back in the water. :)
Parents
  • He dove off the blocks! His stoke rate was phenomenal, 65-70ish/minute. (I counted 40 to the point someone said he was more than 1/2 way. The camera angle changed near the end, so I couldn't count the whole lap.) Thanks for posting this smontanaro! He was actually close to 80 SPM!
  • He dove off the blocks! His stoke rate was phenomenal, 65-70ish/minute. (I counted 40 to the point someone said he was more than 1/2 way. The camera angle changed near the end, so I couldn't count the whole lap.) Thanks for posting this smontanaro! He was actually close to 80 SPM!
Children
No Data