Swim Meets on Sundays

Why does USMS host swim meets on Sundays instead of Saturdays?
  • I imagine the short answer is that most masters swimmers prefer to have meets on Sundays. Lots of teams have practices on Saturday, so that may be one factor. The other is that people are perhaps more likely to be otherwise free on Sunday.
  • There is one this Sat., March 3, in Albany, NY, ADMS. The same meet was on a Sun. last year.
  • Good question. USMS approves sanctions for events that occur on many different days. The event hosts typically choose the dates and times of the meet based on pool availability.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    In Georgia many of meets span Saturday and Sunday
  • Why does USMS host swim meets on Sundays instead of Saturdays? USMS approves sanctions for events that occur on many different days. Correction: USMS neither hosts meets nor approves sanctions. LMSCs approve sanctions made by LMSCs or clubs who are the meet hosts. ;)
  • Locally, our masters team hosts one meet a month. These usually alternate between Saturday and Sunday. We have many swimmers in our area who do not swim Sundays, so the Saturday meets tend to get better attendance.
  • Lots of reasons. Parents with kids attend programs for the kids on Sat.
  • And, a pool has to be available to hold a meet. Many pools have lots of other Saturday stuff going on - practices, lessons, AG meets and open water time for parents and kids to swim to name a few.
  • Presumably most adults have weekday jobs and prefer weekend meets. As for Saturday verses Sunday, pool availability is probably better on Sundays. My local pool is booked solid for age group swim teams and various swimming group lessons much of Saturday. Sunday is the only day of the week they could hold a meet without cancelling lots of other programming. Masters involves much fewer people than the other programs so we are lowest priority for pool time. Last year we completely lost both masters and open lap swim time to high school swim team practice. Thankfully this year we just had to give up some of our lanes
  • Presumably most adults have weekday jobs and prefer weekend meets. As for Saturday verses Sunday, pool availability is probably better on Sundays. My local pool is booked solid for age group swim teams and various swimming group lessons much of Saturday. Sunday is the only day of the week they could hold a meet without cancelling lots of other programming. Masters involves much fewer people than the other programs so we are lowest priority for pool time. Last year we completely lost both masters and open lap swim time to high school swim team practice. Thankfully this year we just had to give up some of our lanes I could have written this word-for-word and I'm on the other side of the country.