Bonking hard after 5k workouts. Thrifty nutrition tips?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi SwimFans! I'm having a bit of a problem with 'bonking' the crash after swimming a 5k workout or more. I'm a morning swimmer and have never swam on a full tummy, I also get up just barely with enough time to make it to the pool when it opens at 6. While working out I sip homemade Faker-aide and snarf down a protein bar and a banana afterwards with a cup of coffee (this is breakfast). I try to eat a carb rich dinner the night before, but I don't really think this helps. I budget $10.00/day for food so nutrition needs to be cheap. Suggestions? Recipes?
Parents
  • I second this. Canned tuna is very inexpensive, tasty, and packs a ton of protein. There's so many possibilities. I get the large tub of Chobani yogurt (it is my preference, I know there's hype). It is about $5 and lasts me a week. I get single-serve chocolate milk, a 9-pack from Sam's Club, for about $9. I have one of those a day. And to be super cheap... If you get up early enough, 1/2 of a Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwich before a long workout can be a lifesaver. When I was doing long rides (like 4+ hours/70+ miles), I'd do that, and sometimes bring the other half with me. That seems to last almost forever. On weekends when I swim in the afternoon I'll have a bowl of whatever fruit I happen to have (lately strawberries and blueberries) with a few spoons of yogurt. Sometimes I'm just craving sugar, and the fruit at least gives that naturally.
  • I second this. Canned tuna is very inexpensive, tasty, and packs a ton of protein. There's so many possibilities. I get the large tub of Chobani yogurt (it is my preference, I know there's hype). It is about $5 and lasts me a week. I get single-serve chocolate milk, a 9-pack from Sam's Club, for about $9. I have one of those a day. And to be super cheap... If you get up early enough, 1/2 of a Peanut Butter & Jelly sandwich before a long workout can be a lifesaver. When I was doing long rides (like 4+ hours/70+ miles), I'd do that, and sometimes bring the other half with me. That seems to last almost forever. On weekends when I swim in the afternoon I'll have a bowl of whatever fruit I happen to have (lately strawberries and blueberries) with a few spoons of yogurt. Sometimes I'm just craving sugar, and the fruit at least gives that naturally.
Children
No Data