Bonking hard after 5k workouts. Thrifty nutrition tips?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi SwimFans! I'm having a bit of a problem with 'bonking' the crash after swimming a 5k workout or more. I'm a morning swimmer and have never swam on a full tummy, I also get up just barely with enough time to make it to the pool when it opens at 6. While working out I sip homemade Faker-aide and snarf down a protein bar and a banana afterwards with a cup of coffee (this is breakfast). I try to eat a carb rich dinner the night before, but I don't really think this helps. I budget $10.00/day for food so nutrition needs to be cheap. Suggestions? Recipes?
Parents
  • I'd be wary to recommend any protein powders or shakes as they can elevate creatine levels. Just from 1 shake a day, 5 days a week, my levels were high enough that my doctor told me to stop. I'd much more suggest some natural ways of getting protein, such as milk or yogurt, which is what I do. Of course that was just an example/suggestion. What works for one may not work for another. Every person's dietary needs/likes are different. Personally my breakfast and lunch shakes are all vegiterian (pea protein, oats, spinach, blue berries, honey, almond milk, peanut butter, etc.)...though I'm not a vegetarian. It gets me though 4000m+ workouts. Dan
  • I'd be wary to recommend any protein powders or shakes as they can elevate creatine levels. Just from 1 shake a day, 5 days a week, my levels were high enough that my doctor told me to stop. I'd much more suggest some natural ways of getting protein, such as milk or yogurt, which is what I do. Of course that was just an example/suggestion. What works for one may not work for another. Every person's dietary needs/likes are different. Personally my breakfast and lunch shakes are all vegiterian (pea protein, oats, spinach, blue berries, honey, almond milk, peanut butter, etc.)...though I'm not a vegetarian. It gets me though 4000m+ workouts. Dan
Children
No Data