Bonking hard after 5k workouts. Thrifty nutrition tips?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi SwimFans! I'm having a bit of a problem with 'bonking' the crash after swimming a 5k workout or more. I'm a morning swimmer and have never swam on a full tummy, I also get up just barely with enough time to make it to the pool when it opens at 6. While working out I sip homemade Faker-aide and snarf down a protein bar and a banana afterwards with a cup of coffee (this is breakfast). I try to eat a carb rich dinner the night before, but I don't really think this helps. I budget $10.00/day for food so nutrition needs to be cheap. Suggestions? Recipes?
Parents
  • Great advice! I'll try backing off on the carbs and get more protein and see if that helps. Lactose free milk is not cheap, but it could work for post workout on my 'big' days. What are your thoughts about pre-workout nutrition? Working out right after waking up has a lot of variables to it. Some people (me) are better off with something in their system before getting the heart rate up. Some people's stomachs can't take it. Just in my case, I have ulcerative colitis which for me means I have a hard time with appetite for solid food first thing in the morning often, so my "breakfast" is usually a bowl of cereal before workout and then a shake of 12 oz milk, half scoop protein powder and half serving Carnation Instant Breakfast. Not the "cleanest" but it hits pretty much all my morning needs until snacktime and the shake gets me calories I'd otherwise might have a struggle getting with my aforementioned issues. "Fasted cardio" is great for people that want to lose weight, but I suspect you aren't in that category. Maybe for the sake of experimentation, try that protein bar before workout, and to pull in dincti's contribution, have the banana with some peanut butter? That would get you some pre-workout energy and some extra protein at the same time.
  • Great advice! I'll try backing off on the carbs and get more protein and see if that helps. Lactose free milk is not cheap, but it could work for post workout on my 'big' days. What are your thoughts about pre-workout nutrition? Working out right after waking up has a lot of variables to it. Some people (me) are better off with something in their system before getting the heart rate up. Some people's stomachs can't take it. Just in my case, I have ulcerative colitis which for me means I have a hard time with appetite for solid food first thing in the morning often, so my "breakfast" is usually a bowl of cereal before workout and then a shake of 12 oz milk, half scoop protein powder and half serving Carnation Instant Breakfast. Not the "cleanest" but it hits pretty much all my morning needs until snacktime and the shake gets me calories I'd otherwise might have a struggle getting with my aforementioned issues. "Fasted cardio" is great for people that want to lose weight, but I suspect you aren't in that category. Maybe for the sake of experimentation, try that protein bar before workout, and to pull in dincti's contribution, have the banana with some peanut butter? That would get you some pre-workout energy and some extra protein at the same time.
Children
No Data