Bonking hard after 5k workouts. Thrifty nutrition tips?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi SwimFans! I'm having a bit of a problem with 'bonking' the crash after swimming a 5k workout or more. I'm a morning swimmer and have never swam on a full tummy, I also get up just barely with enough time to make it to the pool when it opens at 6. While working out I sip homemade Faker-aide and snarf down a protein bar and a banana afterwards with a cup of coffee (this is breakfast). I try to eat a carb rich dinner the night before, but I don't really think this helps. I budget $10.00/day for food so nutrition needs to be cheap. Suggestions? Recipes?
Parents
  • So you're going to the pool on an empty stomach, swimming ~5k and wondering why you bonk? 11482 I'd eat that banana, or at least half of it, on the way to the pool instead of after your workout. ;) You don't have to swim on a full stomach, but a little something in there to prime your bloodstream with some free glucose will likely help. For a month or two, I'd also bump that calorie count a couple hundred on days you swim and see how you feel and whether or not you gain weight. 2400 might not be enough for the amount of activity you are doing. You say you're macros are 50/30/20, but I'm not seeing, based on the limited # of items you listed that you regularly eat, where you're getting your fat from.
  • So you're going to the pool on an empty stomach, swimming ~5k and wondering why you bonk? 11482 I'd eat that banana, or at least half of it, on the way to the pool instead of after your workout. ;) You don't have to swim on a full stomach, but a little something in there to prime your bloodstream with some free glucose will likely help. For a month or two, I'd also bump that calorie count a couple hundred on days you swim and see how you feel and whether or not you gain weight. 2400 might not be enough for the amount of activity you are doing. You say you're macros are 50/30/20, but I'm not seeing, based on the limited # of items you listed that you regularly eat, where you're getting your fat from.
Children
No Data