Bonking hard after 5k workouts. Thrifty nutrition tips?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi SwimFans! I'm having a bit of a problem with 'bonking' the crash after swimming a 5k workout or more. I'm a morning swimmer and have never swam on a full tummy, I also get up just barely with enough time to make it to the pool when it opens at 6. While working out I sip homemade Faker-aide and snarf down a protein bar and a banana afterwards with a cup of coffee (this is breakfast). I try to eat a carb rich dinner the night before, but I don't really think this helps. I budget $10.00/day for food so nutrition needs to be cheap. Suggestions? Recipes?
Parents
  • I eat a 50/30/20 split of carbs/fat/protein taking in about 2400 cal/day at 145lbs I think that's pretty good. I eat a lot of rolled oats, brown rice, whole grain pasta, fish, chicken, veg (cabbage and broccoli are personal favorites), and fresh and frozen fruits. I have a hard time with dairy. Lactose free milk is a good idea. Thanks for the tip on whole milk! I'm not quite swimming 5k a day. I do 5-6k once or twice a week and keep it below 4k the other two or three days. Lactose-free milk is not particularly cheap though, it's like twice the price of "normal" milk if I remember correctly. 2400 cals is probably enough at 145, you're right. If I were you I think I'd experiment with replacing some of those carbs with protein and see if anything feels different. In my experience (which, granted, is not extensive) protein is really the lynchpin macro. If I did my math right, you're getting 53g protein per day, which is right at enough for a sedentary person. And even not considering you activity level in your job and other aspects of your life, 4k-5k swimming is definitely not sedentary! Your mileage may vary though, nutrition is a pretty individual thing.
  • I eat a 50/30/20 split of carbs/fat/protein taking in about 2400 cal/day at 145lbs I think that's pretty good. I eat a lot of rolled oats, brown rice, whole grain pasta, fish, chicken, veg (cabbage and broccoli are personal favorites), and fresh and frozen fruits. I have a hard time with dairy. Lactose free milk is a good idea. Thanks for the tip on whole milk! I'm not quite swimming 5k a day. I do 5-6k once or twice a week and keep it below 4k the other two or three days. Lactose-free milk is not particularly cheap though, it's like twice the price of "normal" milk if I remember correctly. 2400 cals is probably enough at 145, you're right. If I were you I think I'd experiment with replacing some of those carbs with protein and see if anything feels different. In my experience (which, granted, is not extensive) protein is really the lynchpin macro. If I did my math right, you're getting 53g protein per day, which is right at enough for a sedentary person. And even not considering you activity level in your job and other aspects of your life, 4k-5k swimming is definitely not sedentary! Your mileage may vary though, nutrition is a pretty individual thing.
Children
No Data