Bonking hard after 5k workouts. Thrifty nutrition tips?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi SwimFans! I'm having a bit of a problem with 'bonking' the crash after swimming a 5k workout or more. I'm a morning swimmer and have never swam on a full tummy, I also get up just barely with enough time to make it to the pool when it opens at 6. While working out I sip homemade Faker-aide and snarf down a protein bar and a banana afterwards with a cup of coffee (this is breakfast). I try to eat a carb rich dinner the night before, but I don't really think this helps. I budget $10.00/day for food so nutrition needs to be cheap. Suggestions? Recipes?
Parents
  • What does your general diet look like overall? I would suspect at $10/day and swimming 5k a day you probably just aren't getting enough calories, period. And probably not enough protein as a subset of that. If spending some more to eat more isn't really an option, whole milk is a good choice.
  • What does your general diet look like overall? I would suspect at $10/day and swimming 5k a day you probably just aren't getting enough calories, period. And probably not enough protein as a subset of that. If spending some more to eat more isn't really an option, whole milk is a good choice.
Children
No Data