New to Forum...very dry cracked hands. Suggestions?

Former Member
Former Member
I have started swimming and my fingers in particular are becoming so dry they’re splitting. Is there a particular glove I could use that would minimize the damage? Or what about a lotion or oil? And as a side bummer...my shellac nail polish doesn’t last nearly as long either! Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Parents
  • I have started swimming and my fingers in particular are becoming so dry they’re splitting. Is there a particular glove I could use that would minimize the damage? Or what about a lotion or oil? And as a side bummer...my shellac nail polish doesn’t last nearly as long either! Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance! Nail polish too? What's the chemical usage like in your pool? I mean some people are more sensitive to chlorine (and other pool chemicals) than others. But if that's what's causing your nail polish to come off...geez. And I've never experienced chemical levels so high that it make my fingers split. My pool uses chlorine, but not lots of it...they have UV lights as part of the filtration system that help with the cleanliness of the water. I'd suggest that whatever lotion works best for you, and apply it immediately after your swim/shower. I don't think you're going to find a glove that you can swim with that prevents the pool water from getting to your hands. My fingers do split in the winter just because of the cold, dry air. The pool water doesn't seen to exacerbate it. But in the winter I use hand lotion with Vitamin E in it at least a couple times per day and that seems to keep the cracking from happening. Dan
  • I have started swimming and my fingers in particular are becoming so dry they’re splitting. Is there a particular glove I could use that would minimize the damage? Or what about a lotion or oil? And as a side bummer...my shellac nail polish doesn’t last nearly as long either! Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance! Nail polish too? What's the chemical usage like in your pool? I mean some people are more sensitive to chlorine (and other pool chemicals) than others. But if that's what's causing your nail polish to come off...geez. And I've never experienced chemical levels so high that it make my fingers split. My pool uses chlorine, but not lots of it...they have UV lights as part of the filtration system that help with the cleanliness of the water. I'd suggest that whatever lotion works best for you, and apply it immediately after your swim/shower. I don't think you're going to find a glove that you can swim with that prevents the pool water from getting to your hands. My fingers do split in the winter just because of the cold, dry air. The pool water doesn't seen to exacerbate it. But in the winter I use hand lotion with Vitamin E in it at least a couple times per day and that seems to keep the cracking from happening. Dan
Children
No Data