Pros and cons of swim cap for bald swimmer

Former Member
Former Member
I have swam competitively most of my life without a swim cap, especially within the last several years since I have been bald and shave my head regularly. Recently, I have experimented with using a cap (I also use a cap with my tempo trainer) and I am not convinced of any benefits. While there may or may not be slightly less drag with the cap over my ears and goggle strap, it is less comfortable and I feel like I am compromising sensory input. I also feel like I might be retaining more heat during a race with a cap. I'm curious, any input either way?
Parents
  • I am a cap wearer, but honestly, hate them. they make me feel a bit claustrophobic and heat can be an issue. I am a sprinter so these things are not a huge deal. My assumption is that I am faster with it on. In the past few years, I have noticed my forehead getting bigger :afraid:and perhaps because of this, something new appeared in the "cons" column. As some may remember, summer Nationals in Portland was insanely hot. There was no way to avoid sweating before your races. Because of the pre race sweat under my cap, my cap came off within about 25 meters of the 100 fly. I have learned how to avoid this, but when it is uber hot, something to think about.
  • I am a cap wearer, but honestly, hate them. they make me feel a bit claustrophobic and heat can be an issue. I am a sprinter so these things are not a huge deal. My assumption is that I am faster with it on. In the past few years, I have noticed my forehead getting bigger :afraid:and perhaps because of this, something new appeared in the "cons" column. As some may remember, summer Nationals in Portland was insanely hot. There was no way to avoid sweating before your races. Because of the pre race sweat under my cap, my cap came off within about 25 meters of the 100 fly. I have learned how to avoid this, but when it is uber hot, something to think about.
Children
No Data