Swim Parenting (Help!)

Former Member
Former Member
Hi All! i have a 14 yr old daughter who has been swimming with a USA swimming club for about 1.5yrs now. She is the only person in our family to swim, so naturally I feel in a bit over my head at times, though she seems to fit in well in the swimming world. I’m not sure how my daughter ranks against her peers, or her just others in her age group for that matter, nor what is a “good time” or “bad time”. So I’m wondering what I can do to be a “good swim parent”, how far do I go when she adds time and how happy should I be when she drops a little time? Thanks for all your help! I’ve put a couple of her short course times below. 200 freestyle: 2:03.11 100 freestyle: 57.51 50 Freestyle: 26.19 100 backstroke: 1:04.03 200 backstroke: 2:15.90 100 Butterfly: 1:03.13 200 butterfly: 2:22.78 100 ***: 1:17.66 200 IM: 2:20.12
Parents
  • Those freestyle times are solid for any 14 year old girl, let alone one who's only been swimming club for a year and a half. I'd stay out of her and her coach's way and let them keep doing what they're doing. Your job is to be supportive, no matter whether her times go up or down. Let the drive to perform come from within herself. Let the critiquing come from the coach. You need to be steady.
  • Those freestyle times are solid for any 14 year old girl, let alone one who's only been swimming club for a year and a half. I'd stay out of her and her coach's way and let them keep doing what they're doing. Your job is to be supportive, no matter whether her times go up or down. Let the drive to perform come from within herself. Let the critiquing come from the coach. You need to be steady.
Children
No Data