Swim Parenting (Help!)

Former Member
Former Member
Hi All! i have a 14 yr old daughter who has been swimming with a USA swimming club for about 1.5yrs now. She is the only person in our family to swim, so naturally I feel in a bit over my head at times, though she seems to fit in well in the swimming world. I’m not sure how my daughter ranks against her peers, or her just others in her age group for that matter, nor what is a “good time” or “bad time”. So I’m wondering what I can do to be a “good swim parent”, how far do I go when she adds time and how happy should I be when she drops a little time? Thanks for all your help! I’ve put a couple of her short course times below. 200 freestyle: 2:03.11 100 freestyle: 57.51 50 Freestyle: 26.19 100 backstroke: 1:04.03 200 backstroke: 2:15.90 100 Butterfly: 1:03.13 200 butterfly: 2:22.78 100 ***: 1:17.66 200 IM: 2:20.12
Parents
  • jayrowan, you should first of all consult with your daughter's coach, who probably has a good idea as to where she stands in terms of her age group. Beyond that, the USA Swimming National Age Group Motivational Times are a good way of determining progress. Here's the link to the document for 2017-2020: www.usaswimming.org/.../2020motivationaltimes-top16.pdf Good luck to you and your daughter! Being encouraging of her during the ups and downs of her swimming journey will be the best way to support her in the sport that she loves.
  • jayrowan, you should first of all consult with your daughter's coach, who probably has a good idea as to where she stands in terms of her age group. Beyond that, the USA Swimming National Age Group Motivational Times are a good way of determining progress. Here's the link to the document for 2017-2020: www.usaswimming.org/.../2020motivationaltimes-top16.pdf Good luck to you and your daughter! Being encouraging of her during the ups and downs of her swimming journey will be the best way to support her in the sport that she loves.
Children
No Data