Overdoing it

I am a 58 year old male swimmer - generally swim 4 times a week - 1800-2200 meters per workout. I was considering going to zones - which is first week in April. I picked up the intensity of my workouts - lots more effort - about the same yardage - after about a month - i was exhausted - i think i ran my immune system down and got a very bad cold that basically sidelined me from doing anything for a few days. i find this very frustrating. I do not feel like i am asking too much of my body to work hard 3 to 4 times a week at these yardage levels which probably put me at the lower end of a competitive scale. Perhaps as we get older - we need to limit the "hard" workouts and give our bodies more time to recover? Thoughts? Just seems a little depressing that i cannot swim hard 4 times a week at 58.
Parents
  • Do you utilize recovery products/drinks? I've found them to be very helpful in getting thru sessions of increased intensity. A protein shake immediately after workout is my norm and when I'm feeling run down I'll also do one right before bed.
  • Do you utilize recovery products/drinks? I've found them to be very helpful in getting thru sessions of increased intensity. A protein shake immediately after workout is my norm and when I'm feeling run down I'll also do one right before bed.
Children
No Data