Does your swim coach....

Former Member
Former Member
...swim at all for themself? Obviously a question for those who have coaches. Odd question maybe, but I’m genuinely curious.
  • Dan, I have a trouble swimming long distances in salt water - my throat gets very raw. So, although I am not trying to sip the water, I obviously do ingest more than I should. So, to amend my post, drinking the water only applies to fresh water. :)Sea water is not unlike gatorade, with phytoplankton boost in nutrients.
  • How about drinking salt water from an indoor pool? Any benefit to drinking pool water? Go for it and report back to us on your results. :)
  • Sea water is not unlike gatorade, with phytoplankton boost in nutrients. It's got electrolytes... they're what plants crave.
  • No one is gonna like me saying this, but most masters athletes are not burning anywhere near the calories they think they are. Most are probably burning 200-250 calories per hour max. To burn the kind of calories the olympians report, you have to be running your heart rate in the 165-180 range for the better part of 2 hours in each practice where they are covering 16-20,000 yards/day. I've wondered about this quite a bit recently. The workout computer on the stationary bike at the gym reports that I burn ~320 calories in half-hour session. I wonder how accurate this is. (Multiple bikes produce similar results.) That would translate to well over 600 calories per hour, which is a lot if the chart on the wall that compares the calorie consumption rate of various activities can be believed. It "feel like" I work harder than that in most pool workouts, but a calorie consumption rate >600/hour doesn't sound believable. Of course I do take set breaks during a 80-90 minute swim workout so I'm not running at that rate 100% of the time, but in a 90 minute workout at least some days I would be running hot for 75-80 minutes. Of course it has been months since I have been able to do this on account of life getting in the way... grrrrrr.
  • I am just saying that swimming with your heart rate in the 100-120 range is not going to burn alot of calories. I'm guessing most swimmers training seriously are getting their heart rate well above that range!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Go for it and report back to us on your results. :) Hmmm, well I do it all the time, inadvertently. Small sips. I would say it’s not terribly thirst-quenching.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    How about drinking salt water from an indoor pool? Any benefit to drinking pool water?
  • I've wondered about this quite a bit recently. The workout computer on the stationary bike at the gym reports that I burn ~320 calories in half-hour session. I wonder how accurate this is. (Multiple bikes produce similar results.) That would translate to well over 600 calories per hour, which is a lot if the chart on the wall that compares the calorie consumption rate of various activities can be believed. It "feel like" I work harder than that in most pool workouts, but a calorie consumption rate >600/hour doesn't sound believable. Of course I do take set breaks during a 80-90 minute swim workout so I'm not running at that rate 100% of the time, but in a 90 minute workout at least some days I would be running hot for 75-80 minutes. Of course it has been months since I have been able to do this on account of life getting in the way... grrrrrr. Since I've had my Apple Watch, I keep an eye on the estimated calories burned. I'm typically around 100 calories per 500-600 yards. I took a look at my average heart rate from my last week of workouts. It is typically 130-140. Even allowing for an error rate, that's still well over 110. Plus that's the average, so some is less/some is more. I mostly don't worry about heart rate when I swim after using the treadmill and/or lifting. My HR is already up high, so even an easy swim will record a HR of 150+. As for drinking water that you swim in...I'd be cautious if swimming in a lake. There was one o/w swim at a lake in Arizona where many people got sick and the race organizers contacted everyone and advised them to see a doctor. Giardia seems to be an increasing problem with lake water.
  • Since I've had my Apple Watch, I keep an eye on the estimated calories burned. I'm typically around 100 calories per 500-600 yards. Wow, that would be close to 800 Cal/hour since. Do you believe that? I took a look at my average heart rate from my last week of workouts. It is typically 130-140. Even allowing for an error rate, that's still well over 110. Plus that's the average, so some is less/some is more. I mostly don't worry about heart rate when I swim after using the treadmill and/or lifting. My HR is already up high, so even an easy swim will record a HR of 150+. Agreed. 110 is low. 130-140 doing aerobic stuff and 150+ to possibly 170+ doing lactate stuff.
  • Wow, that would be close to 800 Cal/hour since. Do you believe that? Agreed. 110 is low. 130-140 doing aerobic stuff and 150+ to possibly 170+ doing lactate stuff. I posted the overview of my swim workout screenshot in my blog post today: forums.usms.org/entry.php But to answer your questions: * for my normal workouts, I probably get in 3500 yards/hour. If the watch tells me 700 calories, I'd guess around 550 from just swimming. so I don't think the watch gives me a 100% accurate measurement. I subtract about 10%. * most masters swimmers probably average a HR of 130 for normal workouts. of course recovery, drills, swim yoga, etc. would probably be lower. some more advanced swimmers probably get that up to 160+, while others may indeed by closer to 110. there's more to HR than just the workout though, there could be physical/medical conditions to take into account.