Night swimmers who regularly practice right before sleep?

Anyone here regularly swim at night (6pm or later)? If so, do you have any tips or strategies for making workouts productive even when it's late out? In general, does the time of day affect your energy level in the pool? I usually don't swim nights, as I've been a die hard morning swimmer - with occasional afternoon swims when I can fit them in. Tragically, morning workouts at my pool are no longer available daily :violin:so I look to you all for pointers as I convert to being a bit of a "night swimmer" myself in order to plug in those daily sessions and work with the only time slots my pool has currently available! From what I understand, intense workout right before bedtime can disrupt your sleep cycle, so I'm trying to dance over this challenge since I don't know if I'm doing myself a favor if workouts come at the price of much needed rest :bed:Maybe an easy or moderate pace in new night practice is necessary to adjust to the time change, and intensity and distance can be added a few weeks out from then?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I’ve done both 5:30AM practices and 5:30PM practices and I’ll say that the only advantage for me to the early swims is that it’s out of the way for the rest of the day. After a tough workout I’m generally a bit tired and quite hungry which works out well since it’s around 7PM when I get home from the pool. Each individual will react differently of course, but I sleep best on nights that I’ve gone swimming. Good luck in your transition!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I’ve done both 5:30AM practices and 5:30PM practices and I’ll say that the only advantage for me to the early swims is that it’s out of the way for the rest of the day. After a tough workout I’m generally a bit tired and quite hungry which works out well since it’s around 7PM when I get home from the pool. Each individual will react differently of course, but I sleep best on nights that I’ve gone swimming. Good luck in your transition!
Children
No Data