How to drop from 2:30/100m to sub 2 min/100m over >4-5k?

First of all: I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm a lap swimmer and do it for fun. So in open water I'm a 2:30/100m swimmer for Ironman/5k distances and back up to doing 10-12km a week in the pool with no real training plan other than a bunch of 300's to 600's until I get bored and crave coffee. However, I did make a sizable bet with a friend of mine about who'd be the first out of the water in an Ironman later this year, so here I am. So this is what I need help on: 1) Anyone you can recommend in the Chicago area who will look at my stroke and make corrections to make sure my mechanics are ok? 2) Is this even possible? TIA, NC
Parents
  • I agree with srcoyote. You should try doing some 50's or 100's on an interval, rather than just plodding through longer distances. Swim a 100, see how long it takes you. Add :30 to it and hold 5 or 10 of them on that interval. When that gets easy, take :10 away from each interval. Not all in one day, mind you, but over time you will note that they get easier to hold, and faster. Let s know how yo are doing!
  • I agree with srcoyote. You should try doing some 50's or 100's on an interval, rather than just plodding through longer distances. Swim a 100, see how long it takes you. Add :30 to it and hold 5 or 10 of them on that interval. When that gets easy, take :10 away from each interval. Not all in one day, mind you, but over time you will note that they get easier to hold, and faster. Let s know how yo are doing!
Children
No Data