How to drop times in 50 free

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I'm a high school swimmer currently in sophomore year and started swim last February/March. I am currently 6'0" and weigh about 138 pounds. I am currently on a club swim team separate from high school swimming and have a lot of ambition and dedication to swim. I've started swim with around 38 second 50 free (scy) at the start of my swimming career and currently have a 26.9 second 50 free, which i've reached recently, but the meet I swam in felt like I could've went faster. My seed time for the meet was 29.5, and had around a 3 second drop. During this meet, I think I probably breathed maybe around 5 times. Personally, I think that I'm a fast kicker. Usually in practice, if we are doing kick sets like 6x25 kick w/ kickboard, I can usually make it around 16 seconds with about 80% effort. But my arms are really floppy, and get tired really easily when im doing main sets in swim practice. I usually swim really fast compared to other kids with gears like pulling gear or fins, but lack a lot comparing how fast I go with the gear. There's a time trial meet for school about a month later and I'm trying to drop as much time as possible, possibly around 1.5 seconds at least. Are there any secrets, ways to reach that goal? Thanks:)
Parents
  • What does your coach tell you work on when you ask him/her how to get faster? If you have not asked your coach how to get faster, that is where you will find the answers to your question. In a 50 Free, the start & turn are huge because they can account for as much as 30-35% of the race distance. Being as good as possible in these two areas is crucial. The less you breathe, the faster you will go. 5 breaths is alot in a 50. The top swimmers do not breathe at all. The key piece any of us would need to know is how many strokes per length you are taking. I consider more than 15 strokes as too many for someone your height. Taking alot of strokes creates drag which slows you down alot. Good Luck talking with your coach.
  • What does your coach tell you work on when you ask him/her how to get faster? If you have not asked your coach how to get faster, that is where you will find the answers to your question. In a 50 Free, the start & turn are huge because they can account for as much as 30-35% of the race distance. Being as good as possible in these two areas is crucial. The less you breathe, the faster you will go. 5 breaths is alot in a 50. The top swimmers do not breathe at all. The key piece any of us would need to know is how many strokes per length you are taking. I consider more than 15 strokes as too many for someone your height. Taking alot of strokes creates drag which slows you down alot. Good Luck talking with your coach.
Children
No Data