Freestyle - Video Analysis

Former Member
Former Member
here I go again; Was doing a 10X50yd on :50 (video is truncated) Any comments? (i'm the one in the pink swim cap). Thanks again,
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I think your underwater dolphin kick can be more powerful. When kicking down, you can kick in a more accelerated way, instead of a same speed as your feet is going upwards. Toes can be pointing a little bit more towards each other. I believe that will make you faster. Respectfully acknowledged. I used to kick harder on the down kick however a coach suggested that I’d get more from an up and down kick. Arrieros, I probably should NOT have used the terms "early" or "late" with regards to the rotation I was referring to. As you watch your video, do you see how your shoulder begins to rotate upward at the same time you are trying to get a "high elbow" catch? That shoulder movement results in a loss of power during the stroke. This is difficult to describe, but here goes. IMO, a swimmer's shoulder should be quite stable during the catch phase and stay that way - independent of the catch movement of the arm. Only when the hand is moving past the shoulder should the shoulder begin to move upward. If the shoulder moves upward before that moment, the hand and arm slip upward and there is little propulsion taking place. When you watch videos on Youtube, alot of elite swimmers rotating earlier than this. They get away with it by superior strength, flexibility, and kicking power. Should we emulate them - I am not so sure that is a good idea for the majority of swimmers (young and old) Anyway, think about the amount of shoulder movement you have and when it takes place. Paul Whoa, I’m getting tons of awesome advice here.... yes I definitely think my shoulder is not stable and is lifting when I initiate the catch, now that you point it out. To feel this stability, think about keeping your shoulder blade depressed and perfectly still. People often reach forward and hunch their shoulders up toward their ears. That move produces a longer reach, but through a less stable joint. You can't translate as much lat power through your shoulder to the pulling surface through an unstable joint, but you can hurt yourself. Getting in touch with your scapular stabilizers can help you pull more strongly and avoid injury. Your forearm is nice and vertical. With a little improvement in your shoulder mechanics it will work even better for you. Your kick looks pretty good to me, way better than the others in the video. I can't keep up a six-beat kick (3/3) for more than a minute or so, either. For longer races, until the finishing segment, I use a 3/1 pattern. You could try that. So, to stabilize the shoulder throughout the pull and really get the lats working, I should ‘squeeze’ (lacking a better word) the scapular muscle which will also prevent hunching and overreaching, which is something I see other swimmers do all the time. That is a great tip. I never knew how to correct it but think that will work. Thank you all for your expertise :) I wish I could train with you all. I have to take down the video now but appreciate all the feedback that was given.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I think your underwater dolphin kick can be more powerful. When kicking down, you can kick in a more accelerated way, instead of a same speed as your feet is going upwards. Toes can be pointing a little bit more towards each other. I believe that will make you faster. Respectfully acknowledged. I used to kick harder on the down kick however a coach suggested that I’d get more from an up and down kick. Arrieros, I probably should NOT have used the terms "early" or "late" with regards to the rotation I was referring to. As you watch your video, do you see how your shoulder begins to rotate upward at the same time you are trying to get a "high elbow" catch? That shoulder movement results in a loss of power during the stroke. This is difficult to describe, but here goes. IMO, a swimmer's shoulder should be quite stable during the catch phase and stay that way - independent of the catch movement of the arm. Only when the hand is moving past the shoulder should the shoulder begin to move upward. If the shoulder moves upward before that moment, the hand and arm slip upward and there is little propulsion taking place. When you watch videos on Youtube, alot of elite swimmers rotating earlier than this. They get away with it by superior strength, flexibility, and kicking power. Should we emulate them - I am not so sure that is a good idea for the majority of swimmers (young and old) Anyway, think about the amount of shoulder movement you have and when it takes place. Paul Whoa, I’m getting tons of awesome advice here.... yes I definitely think my shoulder is not stable and is lifting when I initiate the catch, now that you point it out. To feel this stability, think about keeping your shoulder blade depressed and perfectly still. People often reach forward and hunch their shoulders up toward their ears. That move produces a longer reach, but through a less stable joint. You can't translate as much lat power through your shoulder to the pulling surface through an unstable joint, but you can hurt yourself. Getting in touch with your scapular stabilizers can help you pull more strongly and avoid injury. Your forearm is nice and vertical. With a little improvement in your shoulder mechanics it will work even better for you. Your kick looks pretty good to me, way better than the others in the video. I can't keep up a six-beat kick (3/3) for more than a minute or so, either. For longer races, until the finishing segment, I use a 3/1 pattern. You could try that. So, to stabilize the shoulder throughout the pull and really get the lats working, I should ‘squeeze’ (lacking a better word) the scapular muscle which will also prevent hunching and overreaching, which is something I see other swimmers do all the time. That is a great tip. I never knew how to correct it but think that will work. Thank you all for your expertise :) I wish I could train with you all. I have to take down the video now but appreciate all the feedback that was given.
Children
No Data