Freestyle - Video Analysis

Former Member
Former Member
here I go again; Was doing a 10X50yd on :50 (video is truncated) Any comments? (i'm the one in the pink swim cap). Thanks again,
Parents
  • IMO, a swimmer's shoulder should be quite stable during the catch phase and stay that way - independent of the catch movement of the arm. To feel this stability, think about keeping your shoulder blade depressed and perfectly still. People often reach forward and hunch their shoulders up toward their ears. That move produces a longer reach, but through a less stable joint. You can't translate as much lat power through your shoulder to the pulling surface through an unstable joint, but you can hurt yourself. Getting in touch with your scapular stabilizers can help you pull more strongly and avoid injury. Your forearm is nice and vertical. With a little improvement in your shoulder mechanics it will work even better for you. Your kick looks pretty good to me, way better than the others in the video. I can't keep up a six-beat kick (3/3) for more than a minute or so, either. For longer races, until the finishing segment, I use a 3/1 pattern. You could try that.
  • IMO, a swimmer's shoulder should be quite stable during the catch phase and stay that way - independent of the catch movement of the arm. To feel this stability, think about keeping your shoulder blade depressed and perfectly still. People often reach forward and hunch their shoulders up toward their ears. That move produces a longer reach, but through a less stable joint. You can't translate as much lat power through your shoulder to the pulling surface through an unstable joint, but you can hurt yourself. Getting in touch with your scapular stabilizers can help you pull more strongly and avoid injury. Your forearm is nice and vertical. With a little improvement in your shoulder mechanics it will work even better for you. Your kick looks pretty good to me, way better than the others in the video. I can't keep up a six-beat kick (3/3) for more than a minute or so, either. For longer races, until the finishing segment, I use a 3/1 pattern. You could try that.
Children
No Data