Freestyle - Video Analysis

Former Member
Former Member
here I go again; Was doing a 10X50yd on :50 (video is truncated) Any comments? (i'm the one in the pink swim cap). Thanks again,
Parents
  • Arrieros, I probably should NOT have used the terms "early" or "late" with regards to the rotation I was referring to. As you watch your video, do you see how your shoulder begins to rotate upward at the same time you are trying to get a "high elbow" catch? That shoulder movement results in a loss of power during the stroke. This is difficult to describe, but here goes. IMO, a swimmer's shoulder should be quite stable during the catch phase and stay that way - independent of the catch movement of the arm. Only when the hand is moving past the shoulder should the shoulder begin to move upward. If the shoulder moves upward before that moment, the hand and arm slip upward and there is little propulsion taking place. When you watch videos on Youtube, alot of elite swimmers rotating earlier than this. They get away with it by superior strength, flexibility, and kicking power. Should we emulate them - I am not so sure that is a good idea for the majority of swimmers (young and old) Anyway, think about the amount of shoulder movement you have and when it takes place. Paul
  • Arrieros, I probably should NOT have used the terms "early" or "late" with regards to the rotation I was referring to. As you watch your video, do you see how your shoulder begins to rotate upward at the same time you are trying to get a "high elbow" catch? That shoulder movement results in a loss of power during the stroke. This is difficult to describe, but here goes. IMO, a swimmer's shoulder should be quite stable during the catch phase and stay that way - independent of the catch movement of the arm. Only when the hand is moving past the shoulder should the shoulder begin to move upward. If the shoulder moves upward before that moment, the hand and arm slip upward and there is little propulsion taking place. When you watch videos on Youtube, alot of elite swimmers rotating earlier than this. They get away with it by superior strength, flexibility, and kicking power. Should we emulate them - I am not so sure that is a good idea for the majority of swimmers (young and old) Anyway, think about the amount of shoulder movement you have and when it takes place. Paul
Children
No Data