Freestyle - Video Analysis

Former Member
Former Member
here I go again; Was doing a 10X50yd on :50 (video is truncated) Any comments? (i'm the one in the pink swim cap). Thanks again,
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    The one thing I can say for sure is that your head position when you push off is way too low. Your ears should be squeezed by your arms in order to get a better streamline. Your head seems to be below your arms causing more drag. How many strokes per lap/length are you taking (25 yards)? With a high elbow you will start grabbing water sooner and thus pull and push more water each time you stroke, using fewer strokes. You also should be finishing the stroke better, i.e., when your arm is passing your shoulder and you switch from pulling water to pushing water, you should "close the door" behind you by engaging your triceps and pushing all the way back. In terms of kicking, do not look at the other swimmers in the video! All have terrible technique. They are kicking with too much amplitude which means they are not keeping a good streamlined body. From what I can see, your kick seems fine. Good obervation re: head position. It does look odd now that I see it. I was aiming for a hyper-streamline swimswam.com/.../, but maybe it’s too hyper-streamlined. Stroke count... with a dolphin kick to the 10 yard mark I can do the first 25 yards in 15-16 strokes, and maybe the 2nd 25 yard in 17, assuming they’re 50s. Any distance over 50 yards, and stroke count increases to 19+-1. I would say say my freestyle is all pull, finishing at my waistline, and no push. I’ll try to incorporate a longer pull/push stroke...maybe that will lower the number of strokes as well. About the 6 beat kick... it takes so much energy.... however I swim faster with a kick than if I were to pull only, so I’m definitely relying a lot on my kick. The thing I notice about the majority of swimmers who have the 2 beat kick (mostly males) is that they can sustain their pace and don’t seem to get as winded by longer distances. I struggle with sustaining my pace with sets of 100s... was wondering if I should try learning a 2 beat kick instead of doing the 6 beat. Thanks!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    The one thing I can say for sure is that your head position when you push off is way too low. Your ears should be squeezed by your arms in order to get a better streamline. Your head seems to be below your arms causing more drag. How many strokes per lap/length are you taking (25 yards)? With a high elbow you will start grabbing water sooner and thus pull and push more water each time you stroke, using fewer strokes. You also should be finishing the stroke better, i.e., when your arm is passing your shoulder and you switch from pulling water to pushing water, you should "close the door" behind you by engaging your triceps and pushing all the way back. In terms of kicking, do not look at the other swimmers in the video! All have terrible technique. They are kicking with too much amplitude which means they are not keeping a good streamlined body. From what I can see, your kick seems fine. Good obervation re: head position. It does look odd now that I see it. I was aiming for a hyper-streamline swimswam.com/.../, but maybe it’s too hyper-streamlined. Stroke count... with a dolphin kick to the 10 yard mark I can do the first 25 yards in 15-16 strokes, and maybe the 2nd 25 yard in 17, assuming they’re 50s. Any distance over 50 yards, and stroke count increases to 19+-1. I would say say my freestyle is all pull, finishing at my waistline, and no push. I’ll try to incorporate a longer pull/push stroke...maybe that will lower the number of strokes as well. About the 6 beat kick... it takes so much energy.... however I swim faster with a kick than if I were to pull only, so I’m definitely relying a lot on my kick. The thing I notice about the majority of swimmers who have the 2 beat kick (mostly males) is that they can sustain their pace and don’t seem to get as winded by longer distances. I struggle with sustaining my pace with sets of 100s... was wondering if I should try learning a 2 beat kick instead of doing the 6 beat. Thanks!
Children
No Data