Video Analysis - Breaststroke

Former Member
Former Member
Hi there, Someone kindly assisted me to film my breaststroke; the video is a little shaky at some points but is better than what I could see if I filmed myself. Over the water: vimeo.com/248971338 Below: vimeo.com/248971160 Any comments or feedback on the swim is appreciated. It's my Achilles heel right now. Thanks!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I think JP is right. This is a very interesting video as you are doing most things right, but are not getting the DPS. A few things,on the pull, most people pull back too far, you don't pull back far enough. that along with your relatively narrow pull means you are not getting much power from your insweep. The insweep is where you build up the speed to shoot your hands forward and shooting your hand forward with power helps shoot your legs back with power. On your kick recovery, you are bringing you knees out side of your feet, which increases drag. The actual kick looks pretty good mechanically, but it needs more oomph. Based on your push offs, I don't think it is a matter of leg strength, but if you are not shooting your hands forward quickly, it is hard to shoot your feet back powerfully. Work on widening your pull and concentrating on your insweep/recovery. Then work on BR kick with no pull, working on foot speed and gliding. A great drill for foot speed is AFAP eggbeater kicks, either vertically or 25s with a snorkel Thanks for the great tips, I'll work on a wider stronger pull and faster insweep which will hopefully translate into my forward drive and stronger kick. Regarding the knee outside of foot kick, it's the most comfortable position. I used to try to keep my knees more narrow, but when doing the kick it felt like something a knee was not meant to do.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I think JP is right. This is a very interesting video as you are doing most things right, but are not getting the DPS. A few things,on the pull, most people pull back too far, you don't pull back far enough. that along with your relatively narrow pull means you are not getting much power from your insweep. The insweep is where you build up the speed to shoot your hands forward and shooting your hand forward with power helps shoot your legs back with power. On your kick recovery, you are bringing you knees out side of your feet, which increases drag. The actual kick looks pretty good mechanically, but it needs more oomph. Based on your push offs, I don't think it is a matter of leg strength, but if you are not shooting your hands forward quickly, it is hard to shoot your feet back powerfully. Work on widening your pull and concentrating on your insweep/recovery. Then work on BR kick with no pull, working on foot speed and gliding. A great drill for foot speed is AFAP eggbeater kicks, either vertically or 25s with a snorkel Thanks for the great tips, I'll work on a wider stronger pull and faster insweep which will hopefully translate into my forward drive and stronger kick. Regarding the knee outside of foot kick, it's the most comfortable position. I used to try to keep my knees more narrow, but when doing the kick it felt like something a knee was not meant to do.
Children
No Data