Video Analysis - Breaststroke

Former Member
Former Member
Hi there, Someone kindly assisted me to film my breaststroke; the video is a little shaky at some points but is better than what I could see if I filmed myself. Over the water: vimeo.com/248971338 Below: vimeo.com/248971160 Any comments or feedback on the swim is appreciated. It's my Achilles heel right now. Thanks!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    To me, it looks like the biggest thing is that your missing drive, "oomph" as it were. Your stroke is there, you need to be more aggressive. When your hands catching at the front, grab the water and pull it in (I'd like to see your pull a little wider there also). When you load up the kick at the back, whip those legs back and around. Another thing, also regarding the aggression of the stroke, is what your body between your arms and legs is doing. When you rear your head/shoulders out of the water to breathe, you need to drive your shoulders (and by extension the rest of your body) forward along with your arms. I guess it is hard to explain via typed word... drills like this should give you the right idea: www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/.../ Obviously Adam Peaty is as close to otherworldly as you can get, but check out how aggressive his recovery is - his head and shoulders drive forward, and that "body dolphin" brings the hips and legs with. Oh, I think you're right... my stroke looks pretty weak compared to the woman in the video. The funny thing is that I know of this drill, however I miss applying the forward drive from the drill into my actual stroke. Do most people swim breaststroke with this kind of aggression? I'm wondering if it's like fly; can only practice in short bursts. Thanks!!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    To me, it looks like the biggest thing is that your missing drive, "oomph" as it were. Your stroke is there, you need to be more aggressive. When your hands catching at the front, grab the water and pull it in (I'd like to see your pull a little wider there also). When you load up the kick at the back, whip those legs back and around. Another thing, also regarding the aggression of the stroke, is what your body between your arms and legs is doing. When you rear your head/shoulders out of the water to breathe, you need to drive your shoulders (and by extension the rest of your body) forward along with your arms. I guess it is hard to explain via typed word... drills like this should give you the right idea: www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/.../ Obviously Adam Peaty is as close to otherworldly as you can get, but check out how aggressive his recovery is - his head and shoulders drive forward, and that "body dolphin" brings the hips and legs with. Oh, I think you're right... my stroke looks pretty weak compared to the woman in the video. The funny thing is that I know of this drill, however I miss applying the forward drive from the drill into my actual stroke. Do most people swim breaststroke with this kind of aggression? I'm wondering if it's like fly; can only practice in short bursts. Thanks!!
Children
No Data