Breaststroke rule question

Quick question, when did the rule change? When I was in age-group, HS, and Collegiate swimming I was DQ'd enough times (embarrassing to admit) to incur the wrath of several coaches and teammates, including one state championship meet, for my head going too far below the waterline in breaststroke. The last time was in the late 80's. I am watching videos and seeing swimmers in the pool routinely doing the same thing, head way under waterline during breaststroke. When did the rule change? And what is the rule now? Thanks! -Chris
Parents
  • Chris - I do not remember when the rule changed - sometime prior to 1995. The rule now requires that some part of the swimmer's head break the surface once during each stroke cycle (except after start and turn and after the final stroke into the turn and finish). (101.2.2) Also, breaststrokes are NOT required to surface before the 15 mtr mark like the other three strokes are required to do. Paul
  • Chris - I do not remember when the rule changed - sometime prior to 1995. The rule now requires that some part of the swimmer's head break the surface once during each stroke cycle (except after start and turn and after the final stroke into the turn and finish). (101.2.2) Also, breaststrokes are NOT required to surface before the 15 mtr mark like the other three strokes are required to do. Paul
Children
No Data