Instead of DQing for a False Start

There is nothing more challenging for an official than having to DQ a swimmer for a false start: either a dual confirmation done after the heat has been started or for the lone swimmer who goes in all by themselves. It is a shame that starting early and only gaining, at most, .5 seconds results in the entire race being nullified. I would hate to be the 400 IMer or the 1650 swimmer if that were to happen. So, instead of nullifying the entire swim, consider a time penalty assessed for a False Start. In either situation that I mentioned in the first paragraph, the swimmer incurs a 5 seconds penalty when the False Start is dual confirmed. The swimmer gets the benefit of the race, albeit with a time penalty. This could be managed quite easier with a software change in Meet Manager or whatever meet software is being used. Paul
Parents
  • I don't really swim in meets. But I'm wondering...does FINA/USA Swimming/USMS use "reaction time" for their false starts? In track and field, the blocks have sensors on them that calculate the runner's reaction time after the gun. There is a standard (i.e. fastest human possible) reaction time allowed. If the runner's reaction time after the gun is too fast then they are false started (DQ). Dan
  • I don't really swim in meets. But I'm wondering...does FINA/USA Swimming/USMS use "reaction time" for their false starts? In track and field, the blocks have sensors on them that calculate the runner's reaction time after the gun. There is a standard (i.e. fastest human possible) reaction time allowed. If the runner's reaction time after the gun is too fast then they are false started (DQ). Dan
Children
No Data