Instead of DQing for a False Start

There is nothing more challenging for an official than having to DQ a swimmer for a false start: either a dual confirmation done after the heat has been started or for the lone swimmer who goes in all by themselves. It is a shame that starting early and only gaining, at most, .5 seconds results in the entire race being nullified. I would hate to be the 400 IMer or the 1650 swimmer if that were to happen. So, instead of nullifying the entire swim, consider a time penalty assessed for a False Start. In either situation that I mentioned in the first paragraph, the swimmer incurs a 5 seconds penalty when the False Start is dual confirmed. The swimmer gets the benefit of the race, albeit with a time penalty. This could be managed quite easier with a software change in Meet Manager or whatever meet software is being used. Paul
Parents
  • It is a shame that starting early and only gaining, at most, .5 seconds results in the entire race being nullified. Just playing Devil's advocate...but in the the longer distance races you mention...if a swimmer false starts in one of those longer races then it's on them. Like you indicate...why jeopardize that long of a race to gain just .5 second? But...so in a 200 for example...what is your suggestion for signaling to the swimmers that there was a false start? To tell them "There was a false start but keep swimming." And then "Woops. Officials indicated the wrong lane for the false start" I mean if you saw a signal from officials (perhaps incorrect signal) that you false started and are being penalized 5 seconds in the 100 freestyle...would you continue swimming? Five seconds in a 100 puts you in last place. Why continue? And then to find out it's in error??? In a 50 no one may even look up to see an indication that there was a false start, nor which lane it was. So...in certain distance/strokes...it really could throw the race out of whack if it was lane 6 (i.e. perhaps the last place swimmer) that false started, but no one knows for sure. I think the most equitable way is to to restart with the offender DQ'd. Dan
  • It is a shame that starting early and only gaining, at most, .5 seconds results in the entire race being nullified. Just playing Devil's advocate...but in the the longer distance races you mention...if a swimmer false starts in one of those longer races then it's on them. Like you indicate...why jeopardize that long of a race to gain just .5 second? But...so in a 200 for example...what is your suggestion for signaling to the swimmers that there was a false start? To tell them "There was a false start but keep swimming." And then "Woops. Officials indicated the wrong lane for the false start" I mean if you saw a signal from officials (perhaps incorrect signal) that you false started and are being penalized 5 seconds in the 100 freestyle...would you continue swimming? Five seconds in a 100 puts you in last place. Why continue? And then to find out it's in error??? In a 50 no one may even look up to see an indication that there was a false start, nor which lane it was. So...in certain distance/strokes...it really could throw the race out of whack if it was lane 6 (i.e. perhaps the last place swimmer) that false started, but no one knows for sure. I think the most equitable way is to to restart with the offender DQ'd. Dan
Children
No Data