Instead of DQing for a False Start

There is nothing more challenging for an official than having to DQ a swimmer for a false start: either a dual confirmation done after the heat has been started or for the lone swimmer who goes in all by themselves. It is a shame that starting early and only gaining, at most, .5 seconds results in the entire race being nullified. I would hate to be the 400 IMer or the 1650 swimmer if that were to happen. So, instead of nullifying the entire swim, consider a time penalty assessed for a False Start. In either situation that I mentioned in the first paragraph, the swimmer incurs a 5 seconds penalty when the False Start is dual confirmed. The swimmer gets the benefit of the race, albeit with a time penalty. This could be managed quite easier with a software change in Meet Manager or whatever meet software is being used. Paul
Parents
  • Thanks for the support, Ellaine. I hate to see the rules written to negate the entire effort. Although it probably can't possibly happen, I would like to see something along the lines of Diving or Skating or Synchro where, instead of DQs, there are time penalties for some of the infractions instead of absolute DQs. For example, a butterfly doing a flutter kick gets a 5 sec penalty. Or if their arms do not recovery at the same time - 5 secs. Or, breaststroke when the head does not break the surface before the insweep of the second pull (off the turn) - 5 sec. One hand touch on fly or breaststroke - 5 secs. Or, for backstroke, don't DQ for a glide into the turn. They have already "penalized" themselves by gliding. AND, we allow gliding into the turn on every other stroke, why not backstroke? No athlete likes to go slow and the penalty will be a better motivation than a DQ. Paul
  • Thanks for the support, Ellaine. I hate to see the rules written to negate the entire effort. Although it probably can't possibly happen, I would like to see something along the lines of Diving or Skating or Synchro where, instead of DQs, there are time penalties for some of the infractions instead of absolute DQs. For example, a butterfly doing a flutter kick gets a 5 sec penalty. Or if their arms do not recovery at the same time - 5 secs. Or, breaststroke when the head does not break the surface before the insweep of the second pull (off the turn) - 5 sec. One hand touch on fly or breaststroke - 5 secs. Or, for backstroke, don't DQ for a glide into the turn. They have already "penalized" themselves by gliding. AND, we allow gliding into the turn on every other stroke, why not backstroke? No athlete likes to go slow and the penalty will be a better motivation than a DQ. Paul
Children
No Data