Backstroke Start Rule

Gary P, As a backstroker who had the same experience with the old Colorado "slippery pads," I find the whole "toes & gutter" rule to make no sense. Can you imagine a forward start being done without your toes curled over the front edge of the starting platform? NO - it is unsafe if the swimmer slips. None of the Rules Chairs seemed to care about being inconcistent with the forward start though though until a couple of high profile backstroke swimmers slipped in the World Championship a few years ago. Then, the race was on to develop wedges/ledges. So, they wrote a rule that allows wedges/ledges to prevent slipping and alot of your feet can be out of the water. But, when ledges/wedges are not available, you still cannot curl your toes over the gutter's edge. Where is the fairness there - especially for masters swimmers who might not have access to facilities with wedges/ledges. There is absolutely no reason for backstrokers to not be able to curl their toes and the rules should be amended to allow it. Even dumber is the official jurisdiction when backstroke starts are involved. If a backstroker has their toes curled over the gutter during the start and the starter does not see it, the stroke and turn official cannot make the call. Allowing toes to be curled over would solve a number of officiating and swimmer issues. Yes, this one has to originate at the FINA level and not just with an eye towards the elite swimmers. There ought to be an accommodation that, for safety and fairness, swimmers may curl their toes over the edge of the gutter." BUT, given the craziness that sometimes occurs, this discussion would probably evolve into using the forward start for all strokes..... Paul
Parents
  • Allen, I agree that that was probably the reason. So, this could be a case where the rules for backstroke starts in SCY pools could be different than backstroke starts for SCM or LCM when world records could be in play. Yes, I realize this means a difference that has to be considered, but not much different than using 5 mtrs for turns in SCM/LCM versus 5 yds for SCY. Paul
  • Allen, I agree that that was probably the reason. So, this could be a case where the rules for backstroke starts in SCY pools could be different than backstroke starts for SCM or LCM when world records could be in play. Yes, I realize this means a difference that has to be considered, but not much different than using 5 mtrs for turns in SCM/LCM versus 5 yds for SCY. Paul
Children
No Data