This Butterfly might get you disqualifed

At the past 4 Masters meets I officiated (including 2 Nationals), I have observed slower butterfliers completely submerged at some point in the stroke cycle (after surfacing before the 15 mtr mark). Although the swimmer is not attempting to submerge for the purpose of streamline dolphin kicking, their momentum coupled with slow turn-over takes them completely underwater for short periods of time. The video link - http://vimeo.com/248356962 - shows me swimming slow fly. For brief moments I am completely submerged with no forward propulsion - just resting before the next stroke. An overly strict, by-the-rules official would be within the rules to DQ a swimmer doing butterfly like the video. It is called "resubmerging after the 15 mtr mark". This is one of those cases where Masters might need an interpretation of the rule - specific for masters swimmers - that allows for submerging during a stroke cycle provided the swimmer does not perform more than "x" dolphin kicks while submerged.
Parents
  • In the 70s and 80s, it was legal for backstrokers to stand on the gutter (as long as their heels were in the water) and do "back dives" for starts. I was brought up in the era of "toes over the gutter" backstroke starts. After a 27 year layoff, I came back to the sport about 3 years ago. This is the one rule change I haven't been able to adapt to. If I try a "legal" backstroke start now, there's about a 50/50 chance my feet just slide down the wall and I'm left floating vertical right in front of the block. :afraid: Even if I keep my feet from sliding down, I still get very little lift and momentum, resulting in a back flop of epic proportions. Until the 80s, your head had to stay above the surface of the water - ALL THE TIME - swimming breaststroke. And if I remember right, your hands couldn't break the surface on the recovery, either.
  • In the 70s and 80s, it was legal for backstrokers to stand on the gutter (as long as their heels were in the water) and do "back dives" for starts. I was brought up in the era of "toes over the gutter" backstroke starts. After a 27 year layoff, I came back to the sport about 3 years ago. This is the one rule change I haven't been able to adapt to. If I try a "legal" backstroke start now, there's about a 50/50 chance my feet just slide down the wall and I'm left floating vertical right in front of the block. :afraid: Even if I keep my feet from sliding down, I still get very little lift and momentum, resulting in a back flop of epic proportions. Until the 80s, your head had to stay above the surface of the water - ALL THE TIME - swimming breaststroke. And if I remember right, your hands couldn't break the surface on the recovery, either.
Children
No Data