Speed plateau

Ok, so I seem to be fine endurance-wise. Longest distance in open water= 8 miles (last year), longest pool distance (this year), 12k yds (training for the 8 miler I did last year...dnf after 6.5 miles). I've done the Great South Bay Swim 5x (completed), plus a dnf last year, when I'm told I exceeded the race distance (5 1/4 miles). BUT I'd love to be able to regularly swim less than 2 minutes per 100 free. I very occasionally dip below 2 minutes, but couldn't at least now have 2 minutes as my send-off. I'm in a masterrs group, and I love my group. Recently a swimmer in my group did a 1:39 100--someone who used to swim about 2 mins per 100. I've hovered around 2 -2:10 for the past few years. In meets, times have ranged fr 1:57 to about 2:04. So now I wonder if I've hit a set point and won't improve. I'm 67, which I prefer not to use as a reason to give up hope of improving, although I hope there are stories out there of women my age who have made dramatic improvements, so I can see what's possible. Maybe my focus on distance is part of it, but I want to get fast enough not to worry about time cut-offs. And also swim some speedy times (for me at least) in meets. Is there any hope for a significant jump in speed? Thanks for any thoughts! Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Parents
  • If you are focusing on long distance, you are training to swim that speed. If you want to swim faster than a 2 min hundred, then you have to be practicing at that speed or faster. Check out the USRPT thread. It's a good place to start.
  • If you are focusing on long distance, you are training to swim that speed. If you want to swim faster than a 2 min hundred, then you have to be practicing at that speed or faster. Check out the USRPT thread. It's a good place to start.
Children
No Data