The dreaded water temp question

Small struggle going on here. My normal pool has shortened their hours for the winter months, ridiculously from 11am-1pm and then from 2-4pm. And you loose 30 minutes each time while they remove the pool cover. All not lost. I can drive 40 minutes to the neighboring YMCA that has an indoor pool and use that pretty much anytime. It's a little shorter, 25yd vs 25m. But the major issue seems to be water temp. I believe the pool is very close to 90 degrees, feels warm, bathwater warm, when I get into it. Also it appears that the pride of this pool is their synchronized swim team and I believe this is the reason for the warmer temps (along with the water aerobics for the senior crowd). Each group is great in their own respects, but I am wondering how to survive these higher temps? I am sort of high maintenance when it comes to too hot... or too cold. My primary goal is distance as I train for open water events. I am not a sprinter, nor do I train for pool meets. I didn't even connect it until today when I struggled with a 2500yd workout and I normally do 5Km. I got out of the pool and felt a little "wobbly" on the deck. Anyone else deal with this? Thanks!
Parents
  • Working as a lifeguard at the pool that I currently swim, and others I've worked at over the years...part of the lifeguarding duties are recording the chemical levels, and air and water temperature hourly. It has been my experience that 82*F for the water AND air seem to be optimal for all. Not perfect for hard swimmers, nor for the elders in the aquarobics classes. But, I have noticed that when the water temp increases by just one degree to 83...everyone comments that the water feels like bath water. When it decreases by just one degree to 81...everyone comments that it's like ice water. That's how sensitive the body is. So maybe you AND THE OTHER SWIMMERS can get the pool manager to work the water temp down close to that. And the air temp matters too. If they won't budge on the water temp...see if he'll do something with the air. Cooler air makes the water seem warmer when you get in. They could bring the air AND the water temp down equally and could find a satisfactory setting for all. Good luck. Dan
  • Working as a lifeguard at the pool that I currently swim, and others I've worked at over the years...part of the lifeguarding duties are recording the chemical levels, and air and water temperature hourly. It has been my experience that 82*F for the water AND air seem to be optimal for all. Not perfect for hard swimmers, nor for the elders in the aquarobics classes. But, I have noticed that when the water temp increases by just one degree to 83...everyone comments that the water feels like bath water. When it decreases by just one degree to 81...everyone comments that it's like ice water. That's how sensitive the body is. So maybe you AND THE OTHER SWIMMERS can get the pool manager to work the water temp down close to that. And the air temp matters too. If they won't budge on the water temp...see if he'll do something with the air. Cooler air makes the water seem warmer when you get in. They could bring the air AND the water temp down equally and could find a satisfactory setting for all. Good luck. Dan
Children
No Data