The dreaded water temp question

Small struggle going on here. My normal pool has shortened their hours for the winter months, ridiculously from 11am-1pm and then from 2-4pm. And you loose 30 minutes each time while they remove the pool cover. All not lost. I can drive 40 minutes to the neighboring YMCA that has an indoor pool and use that pretty much anytime. It's a little shorter, 25yd vs 25m. But the major issue seems to be water temp. I believe the pool is very close to 90 degrees, feels warm, bathwater warm, when I get into it. Also it appears that the pride of this pool is their synchronized swim team and I believe this is the reason for the warmer temps (along with the water aerobics for the senior crowd). Each group is great in their own respects, but I am wondering how to survive these higher temps? I am sort of high maintenance when it comes to too hot... or too cold. My primary goal is distance as I train for open water events. I am not a sprinter, nor do I train for pool meets. I didn't even connect it until today when I struggled with a 2500yd workout and I normally do 5Km. I got out of the pool and felt a little "wobbly" on the deck. Anyone else deal with this? Thanks!
Parents
  • We get bumped from our 50 meter competition pool to our 4 lane x 25 yard teaching pool this time every year when college teams come down to train in the big pool over the Holidays. The teaching pool is normally used for water aerobics and beginning kids and is kept around 84. So not only is the small pool it more crowded, but is also a lot warmer than the big pool. With an average ambient air temp in the 40's, it feels good when you get in, not so much when you get out. We tend to do more drill work with shorter intervals to help keep from overheating. I try to make sure that I always have my water bottle at the end of the lane and take a sip between most intervals to stay hydrated.
  • We get bumped from our 50 meter competition pool to our 4 lane x 25 yard teaching pool this time every year when college teams come down to train in the big pool over the Holidays. The teaching pool is normally used for water aerobics and beginning kids and is kept around 84. So not only is the small pool it more crowded, but is also a lot warmer than the big pool. With an average ambient air temp in the 40's, it feels good when you get in, not so much when you get out. We tend to do more drill work with shorter intervals to help keep from overheating. I try to make sure that I always have my water bottle at the end of the lane and take a sip between most intervals to stay hydrated.
Children
No Data