The dreaded water temp question

Small struggle going on here. My normal pool has shortened their hours for the winter months, ridiculously from 11am-1pm and then from 2-4pm. And you loose 30 minutes each time while they remove the pool cover. All not lost. I can drive 40 minutes to the neighboring YMCA that has an indoor pool and use that pretty much anytime. It's a little shorter, 25yd vs 25m. But the major issue seems to be water temp. I believe the pool is very close to 90 degrees, feels warm, bathwater warm, when I get into it. Also it appears that the pride of this pool is their synchronized swim team and I believe this is the reason for the warmer temps (along with the water aerobics for the senior crowd). Each group is great in their own respects, but I am wondering how to survive these higher temps? I am sort of high maintenance when it comes to too hot... or too cold. My primary goal is distance as I train for open water events. I am not a sprinter, nor do I train for pool meets. I didn't even connect it until today when I struggled with a 2500yd workout and I normally do 5Km. I got out of the pool and felt a little "wobbly" on the deck. Anyone else deal with this? Thanks!
Parents
  • I've swam in hot pools before - really anything over about 84 is uncomfortable. It's not safe, especially if you're doing things at high intensity. Your body depends on temperature differential to cool itself (you don't have a compressor and condenser with refrigerant in your body like an air conditioner or refrigerator does), and the closer ambient gets to core body temp, the less efficiently it can throw off heat, especially in the water compared to air, with sweat being ineffective and different heat transfer rates compared to air. IIRC, the water temperature when Fran Crippen died swimming open water was around 87 degrees.
  • I've swam in hot pools before - really anything over about 84 is uncomfortable. It's not safe, especially if you're doing things at high intensity. Your body depends on temperature differential to cool itself (you don't have a compressor and condenser with refrigerant in your body like an air conditioner or refrigerator does), and the closer ambient gets to core body temp, the less efficiently it can throw off heat, especially in the water compared to air, with sweat being ineffective and different heat transfer rates compared to air. IIRC, the water temperature when Fran Crippen died swimming open water was around 87 degrees.
Children
No Data