swimmer types in warmup pool at meet

How many different types of warmup creatures are there? OF course they are always someone else, none of us could possibly be so selfish as to be a detriment in a crowded warmup pool at nationals or some championship meet. I have a few to start: Guess what I am going to do? This one swims to the flags fairly normally but begins to slow down, commensurately as much as you want to start a 50 or some other timed swim when the coast is clear. The closer they get to the wall, the slower they go. Hugging the lane line, as if to end a brutal, 50 second 25. 1 or 2 yards from the wall, they lift their head out of the water to get a sighting on the bleachers or someone on deck, perhaps Walmart. Surely they are going to stop. But NOOO. they dunk their head back into the water millimeters from hitting the wall with it and perform a type of flip turn better called a slow motion tumble of limbs akimbo. It is true theater. Oblivious Masters swimming has all different speeds and types of swimmers, but this one seems not to recognize that there are other (about 15)swimmers in the lane and swim accordingly. Right down the middle. Then decide to palaver with friends, associates and anyone within earshot while hanging on the wall. Right in front of the turning target. Then are either surprised or righteously indignant when someone (probably me) has the temerity to attempt a turn where they are holding court. i blame the coaches for these poor warmup activities. While preparing their swimmers for races, they need to prepare them also for warmup and give the best practices, not allow the worst.
Parents
  • Whoa there-- I know some amazing 65 & overs & they're welcome to be any lane as far as I'm concerned. We all know where to swim in our masters workouts... being placed in a lane based on your age sounds a little weird. Sunruh wasn't talking about those over 65's. The "amazing" over 65's (such as King Frog and his caliber) don't belong in that lane either, because they are too fast! He was referring to the over 65 lane at USMS Nationals that is really meant for the older swimmers who are slow and belong in that lane (and know they belong in that lane.) The last thing they would want to do is get run down by a bunch of "kids" in the faster lanes! :afraid: You aren't required to be in that lane if you are over 65; however, you aren't allowed to be in that lane if you are UNDER 65-- especially if you are fast! That lane is reserved for the older, slower swimmers if they want to use it. Considering how crowded the lanes get during Nationals, I look forward to being able to use a less-populated lane if I'm slow enough to be in it!
  • Whoa there-- I know some amazing 65 & overs & they're welcome to be any lane as far as I'm concerned. We all know where to swim in our masters workouts... being placed in a lane based on your age sounds a little weird. Sunruh wasn't talking about those over 65's. The "amazing" over 65's (such as King Frog and his caliber) don't belong in that lane either, because they are too fast! He was referring to the over 65 lane at USMS Nationals that is really meant for the older swimmers who are slow and belong in that lane (and know they belong in that lane.) The last thing they would want to do is get run down by a bunch of "kids" in the faster lanes! :afraid: You aren't required to be in that lane if you are over 65; however, you aren't allowed to be in that lane if you are UNDER 65-- especially if you are fast! That lane is reserved for the older, slower swimmers if they want to use it. Considering how crowded the lanes get during Nationals, I look forward to being able to use a less-populated lane if I'm slow enough to be in it!
Children
No Data