swimmer types in warmup pool at meet

How many different types of warmup creatures are there? OF course they are always someone else, none of us could possibly be so selfish as to be a detriment in a crowded warmup pool at nationals or some championship meet. I have a few to start: Guess what I am going to do? This one swims to the flags fairly normally but begins to slow down, commensurately as much as you want to start a 50 or some other timed swim when the coast is clear. The closer they get to the wall, the slower they go. Hugging the lane line, as if to end a brutal, 50 second 25. 1 or 2 yards from the wall, they lift their head out of the water to get a sighting on the bleachers or someone on deck, perhaps Walmart. Surely they are going to stop. But NOOO. they dunk their head back into the water millimeters from hitting the wall with it and perform a type of flip turn better called a slow motion tumble of limbs akimbo. It is true theater. Oblivious Masters swimming has all different speeds and types of swimmers, but this one seems not to recognize that there are other (about 15)swimmers in the lane and swim accordingly. Right down the middle. Then decide to palaver with friends, associates and anyone within earshot while hanging on the wall. Right in front of the turning target. Then are either surprised or righteously indignant when someone (probably me) has the temerity to attempt a turn where they are holding court. i blame the coaches for these poor warmup activities. While preparing their swimmers for races, they need to prepare them also for warmup and give the best practices, not allow the worst.
Parents
  • My favorite has to be the :censor: that literally swam OVER me in a crowded warm up lane. I too was stuck behind someone slower than myself, and I was patiently waiting to pass them at the wall! And, no, he wasn't swimming backstroke, it was on purpose.
  • My favorite has to be the :censor: that literally swam OVER me in a crowded warm up lane. I too was stuck behind someone slower than myself, and I was patiently waiting to pass them at the wall! And, no, he wasn't swimming backstroke, it was on purpose.
Children
No Data