Newbie needs help with Breaststroke technique

I'm 38 years old and started swimming for fitness about 3 months ago. I learned basic breaststroke in my late 20s but haven't practiced much back then. Here is a video of my breaststroke swim. www.dropbox.com/.../breaststroke 2.MOV If I sprint, it takes me about 33 seconds for 25m and 2:27 for 100m. I can maintain 2:40 per 100m when I swim long distances like 1000m, without getting tired. I have two modest goals - Swim 25m in 25 seconds and 100m in 2min. How do I quickly reach these goals? Is my problem my poor technique or lack of strength (I'm skinny)? Thanks in advance.
Parents
  • You have a reasonably good kick. With your pull,it starts off well,but I think it would be easier if it was wider. You are not keeping your elbows near the surface throughout the pull and you are pulling too far back. Your hands should never be pulled back past your shoulder. Because they are pulled so far back you are not able to recover them as a smooth transition from insweep to recovery. This is further complicated, that since your pull is so narrow there is very little insweep, making it more difficult to get a smooth transition. The insweep/recovery should be one smooth flowing motion. You are essentially stopping your hand motion at the end of the pull. This is causing you to lose momentum and as a consequence your hips are dropping. The good news is that if you eliminate this dead spot you will go much faster.
  • You have a reasonably good kick. With your pull,it starts off well,but I think it would be easier if it was wider. You are not keeping your elbows near the surface throughout the pull and you are pulling too far back. Your hands should never be pulled back past your shoulder. Because they are pulled so far back you are not able to recover them as a smooth transition from insweep to recovery. This is further complicated, that since your pull is so narrow there is very little insweep, making it more difficult to get a smooth transition. The insweep/recovery should be one smooth flowing motion. You are essentially stopping your hand motion at the end of the pull. This is causing you to lose momentum and as a consequence your hips are dropping. The good news is that if you eliminate this dead spot you will go much faster.
Children
No Data