Is my swimming coach too strict and unreasonable?

Former Member
Former Member
I am currently attending Masters swimming sessions at a local swim club. The coach appears to be a strict, no nonsense coach and will not hesitate to chide and yell at swimmers who can't perform a drill properly. For instance, he lambasted at me and said I was a terrible swimmer when I performed poorly during the drills. I am new to Masters swimming so my hand and leg coordination is not that good compared to more seasoned swimmers. Furthermore, he did not allow me to go to the restroom and even forced me to finish a 500m set with a full bladder before I can even think of leaving the pool. Is my coach being too unreasonable? Should I switch to a more lenient coach? I have to admit that my coach is excellent in correcting one's stroke and provides tons of useful tips. He will also praise swimmers for their good performance.
Parents
  • Not sure about that and I'm very confident virtually every college coach would yell at anyone getting out in the middle of a set. Agreed... I think by the time you're in college it's expected that you know your body well enough to be able to either time your bathroom breaks or "hold it" 'til an appropriate break time. Obviously excluding things like an IBD flare or something. As for the coach's behavior... I have a hard time imagining a coach of hobby-swimmer adults treating those individuals like poorly-behaved age groupers, though I may be short on perspective there. I wonder if some of this is misunderstood ribbing, perhaps the coach doesn't understand that you don't see it that way.
  • Not sure about that and I'm very confident virtually every college coach would yell at anyone getting out in the middle of a set. Agreed... I think by the time you're in college it's expected that you know your body well enough to be able to either time your bathroom breaks or "hold it" 'til an appropriate break time. Obviously excluding things like an IBD flare or something. As for the coach's behavior... I have a hard time imagining a coach of hobby-swimmer adults treating those individuals like poorly-behaved age groupers, though I may be short on perspective there. I wonder if some of this is misunderstood ribbing, perhaps the coach doesn't understand that you don't see it that way.
Children
No Data