Breaststroke speed drills/sets/routines

I've got a bug in my head that I want to break 1:00 in the 100 *** at Nationals in May. I was a backstroker/IMer in college and so never got a chance to swim breaststroke races rested (or really any breaststroke races at all - I think I did about 2 100s and 2 200s my whole college career). I did a 31.2 SCM 50 on 2 months of training (after 6 years off) with a completely jammed turn so I think this isn't an unreasonable goal. Problem is, I know breaststroke training is a bit different than anything I have experience in - I'd probably wear out my knees and/or pull a groin trying to just sub out some of my best backstroke sets with ***. Anybody have insight on good drills or sets for building breaststroke speed? I'm most interested in learning about 1) progressive type stuff - things I can repeat or build on and be able to measure progress, and 2) drills for building effective stroke rate.
Parents
  • I've got a bug in my head that I want to break 1:00 in the 100 *** at Nationals in May. I was a backstroker/IMer in college and so never got a chance to swim breaststroke races rested (or really any breaststroke races at all - I think I did about 2 100s and 2 200s my whole college career). I did a 31.2 SCM 50 on 2 months of training (after 6 years off) with a completely jammed turn so I think this isn't an unreasonable goal. Problem is, I know breaststroke training is a bit different than anything I have experience in - I'd probably wear out my knees and/or pull a groin trying to just sub out some of my best backstroke sets with ***. Anybody have insight on good drills or sets for building breaststroke speed? I'm most interested in learning about 1) progressive type stuff - things I can repeat or build on and be able to measure progress, and 2) drills for building effective stroke rate. As a breaststroker who's PB for SCY is 1:07 and SCM 1:15, I would also like to break 1:00. Don't want to sound pessimistic but it seems to me that more likely scenario is described in another thread about Masters getting slower faster and faster while getting older. :cane: Swimming 5 to 6 times a week, doing drills, stretching doesn't really help.
  • I've got a bug in my head that I want to break 1:00 in the 100 *** at Nationals in May. I was a backstroker/IMer in college and so never got a chance to swim breaststroke races rested (or really any breaststroke races at all - I think I did about 2 100s and 2 200s my whole college career). I did a 31.2 SCM 50 on 2 months of training (after 6 years off) with a completely jammed turn so I think this isn't an unreasonable goal. Problem is, I know breaststroke training is a bit different than anything I have experience in - I'd probably wear out my knees and/or pull a groin trying to just sub out some of my best backstroke sets with ***. Anybody have insight on good drills or sets for building breaststroke speed? I'm most interested in learning about 1) progressive type stuff - things I can repeat or build on and be able to measure progress, and 2) drills for building effective stroke rate. As a breaststroker who's PB for SCY is 1:07 and SCM 1:15, I would also like to break 1:00. Don't want to sound pessimistic but it seems to me that more likely scenario is described in another thread about Masters getting slower faster and faster while getting older. :cane: Swimming 5 to 6 times a week, doing drills, stretching doesn't really help.
Children
No Data