Finis Positive Drive fins .... and chafing

So, I recently bought a pair of the Positive Drive fins--site here. I ordered Women's XL b/c the next size up would be half a size larger than my running shoe size. But now I wonder if I should have sized up. I'm not anxious for my fins to fall off, but I also don't like my toes bleeding when I'm finished with a workout. Is there any adjustment I can make of the size I have--or should I bite the bullet and order a larger size. (I'm sure I can find a taker for the ones I have now.) What's your experience w/ these fins? Is there any hope of adjusting the fit so the current ones are more comfortable? Even with Tri-Slide, the chafing was pretty bad. Thanks for any tips! (Or bids, if you want to buy the ones I have--they might be blood stained a little, but nothing contagious lol!)
  • My experience with fins has been that they all chafe. Have you tried the Aqua sphere fins made of foam? Those look like they might not chafe. Thanks for the suggestion--did try Aquasphere fins once--and the heel strap cut into my ankle so I pretty much ditched them after one use. I have Finis Zoomers, which can be tamed with enough Tri-Slide. But for some reason the Positive Drive gave me a lot of negative vibes. :toohurt: I have a pair of Tyr long fins which don't chafe, but are awkward to use on turns. They were, however, a godsend when I was having shoulder pain. I sometimes still use them, but they're bulky to carry in my swim bag most times.
  • I know several people that use aqua socks, some just regular socks, with their fins to avoid chaffing. When I was nursing an injury where I wore my fins for the whole workout, I used regular athletic socks. Usually my Sporti fins don't hurt me when worn for just 1 set.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    My experience with fins has been that they all chafe. Have you tried the Aqua sphere fins made of foam? Those look like they might not chafe.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    A lady at my local aquatic center has this problem. She uses aqua socks. She hasn't had any problems since starting using them.
  • Stick to fins made of silicone to avoid chafing and blistering. I've been using the DMC Elite fins lately, and they are hands down the best swim fins I've ever used. The Arena Powerfin Pro is pretty similar in design and construction. I've been using the DMC Elite too for a couple of years now and can swim in them all day without a problem. DMC's "Elite" fins are apparently larger than the "original" version. The Elite's are heavy and they don't float. They are Australian deigned and similar in shape to fins used for body boarding. They are a medium length fin (not long or short), and have proven to be very durable. I ordered them on the web from their US importer (I think) and they took a few weeks to arrive. They were not available from my normal swim stuff suppliers, so just google them. The cost is a little higher, but worth it I think.
  • Stick to fins made of silicone to avoid chafing and blistering. I've been using the DMC Elite fins lately, and they are hands down the best swim fins I've ever used. The Arena Powerfin Pro is pretty similar in design and construction. I still have nightmares about the red Zoomers I used as an age grouper--those things would leave the top of my feet nearly skinless after some practices. *shudder*
  • The only time I've had chafing or blistering from wearing fins was when the size wasn't accurate. I've been wearing TYR SPORT EBP Burner Fin for years now (I've ordered them twice from Amazon), and I haven't had any problems with them. I've used Speedo Breaststroke Fins off/on for a while too, and no issues there either. I think most of the problems I had were with zoomers.
  • Thanks for the tips! I've been able to use the Positive Drive after I got fin socks, so the fins are more comfortable. But I'm planning also to restock Tri-Slide. I'd like to put only one item on each foot. Still, I can use the fins now without my feet being a bloody mess. Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk