Age-Grading for Masters Swimmers

If you have a free moment, please check out an article/proposal of sorts that I wrote for the USMS website. You can find it here: www.usms.org/.../articledisplay.php I realize it's a bit lengthy, but I think it's an idea that could really help motivate swimmers to keep at it over the lifespan. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I'll be 70 in January and still improving. I didn't start swimming seriously until 67 when arthritis put a stop to my running. Took a couple stroke clinics at 68, and joined a masters team practice at 69. My times are not competitive since I'm still relatively new to the whole thing. 50y in 51 sec, 100y in 2:07, 200y in 4:30 and a mile OWS in 48 min. I'm quite certain that those times will fall this winter if I can get to a meet or two. So even though with an age-graded system, I would still score fairly low, I'm pleased with the progress I've made. Well Jim and Allan are way ahead of you and me on swimming times. Sumorunner you are doing pretty good to have taken up the sport in your late 60's. The body changes when I came back for about 2 years and did a few masters meets when I was 45 and 46 I did a 1:34 100 yard breaststroke last year I did a senior Olympic event locally and swam 1:48.5. Women slow down usually at younger ages than men in masters or senior Olympic events.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I'll be 70 in January and still improving. I didn't start swimming seriously until 67 when arthritis put a stop to my running. Took a couple stroke clinics at 68, and joined a masters team practice at 69. My times are not competitive since I'm still relatively new to the whole thing. 50y in 51 sec, 100y in 2:07, 200y in 4:30 and a mile OWS in 48 min. I'm quite certain that those times will fall this winter if I can get to a meet or two. So even though with an age-graded system, I would still score fairly low, I'm pleased with the progress I've made. Well Jim and Allan are way ahead of you and me on swimming times. Sumorunner you are doing pretty good to have taken up the sport in your late 60's. The body changes when I came back for about 2 years and did a few masters meets when I was 45 and 46 I did a 1:34 100 yard breaststroke last year I did a senior Olympic event locally and swam 1:48.5. Women slow down usually at younger ages than men in masters or senior Olympic events.
Children
No Data