Age-Grading for Masters Swimmers

If you have a free moment, please check out an article/proposal of sorts that I wrote for the USMS website. You can find it here: www.usms.org/.../articledisplay.php I realize it's a bit lengthy, but I think it's an idea that could really help motivate swimmers to keep at it over the lifespan. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Parents
  • I'll be 70 in January and still improving. I didn't start swimming seriously until 67 when arthritis put a stop to my running. Took a couple stroke clinics at 68, and joined a masters team practice at 69. My times are not competitive since I'm still relatively new to the whole thing. 50y in 51 sec, 100y in 2:07, 200y in 4:30 and a mile OWS in 48 min. I'm quite certain that those times will fall this winter if I can get to a meet or two. So even though with an age-graded system, I would still score fairly low, I'm pleased with the progress I've made.
  • I'll be 70 in January and still improving. I didn't start swimming seriously until 67 when arthritis put a stop to my running. Took a couple stroke clinics at 68, and joined a masters team practice at 69. My times are not competitive since I'm still relatively new to the whole thing. 50y in 51 sec, 100y in 2:07, 200y in 4:30 and a mile OWS in 48 min. I'm quite certain that those times will fall this winter if I can get to a meet or two. So even though with an age-graded system, I would still score fairly low, I'm pleased with the progress I've made.
Children
No Data